There is so much going on today! Last week I returned from my third SNAP conference with SNAP sponsor FloraCraft, and I have a few highlights to share. FloraCraft is also sharing its tutorial to make a beautiful, Decorative Mesh Flower Topiary. And finally, I brought home so many crafty goodies that I’m giving away two bags packed with SNAP swag. (If you’d like to know more about SNAP, don’t miss my 2013 and 2014 recaps, too.)
First, a quick note about FloraCraft. FloraCraft is the world’s largest fabricator of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. They are the experts in cutting and packaging the foam shapes, which you’ll find it in the stores with the label “Make It: Fun® Foam”.
One more shout out and a “thank you” to Alex Adams Photography. Alex was the official photographer for SNAP, and she graciously shared her photos. Her photos are fabulous, and so much better than mine, so wherever possible, I’ve used her photos. Thanks, Alex.
Every year, SNAP is bigger and better. This year, 500 creative, DIY & craft bloggers attended SNAP to learn, connect, and be inspired. FloraCraft’s marketing manager Jamie and I met up for the conference at the Little America Hotel in downtown Salt Lake City. We spent a long day unpacking and setting up our booth.
FloraCraft’s designer Dondi Richardson made a wall of colorful decorative mesh flowers for the back of the booth. We used the setting to stage a selfie contest. Dondi also made the “FloraCraft” sign by creating string art on a foam sheet. (Here’s a tutorial for creating string art the easy way — without hammers, nails and pounding.)
I can’t forget the beautiful flowers that were outside, too. I saw this springtime garden at Temple Square.
FloraCraft also made six-foot tall, gold and glittering SNAP letters for the ballroom stage. Look at that sparkle!
Here are just a few of the people who we saw up on this fabulous stage: Elsie and Emma, the sisters behind the lifestyle blog A Beautiful Mess; celebrity wedding planner and fashion designer David Tutera; and scrapbooker/trendsetter extraordinaire, Heidi Swapp.
One highlight every year is the door decorating contest sponsored by 3M. Check out a few of these amazing doors.
Throughout the three-day conference, we invited the bloggers to make Decorative Mesh Flowers with us. These colorful, candy-filled pots are perfect for party centerpieces and favors, or maybe a sweet little teacher’s gift.
FloraCraft wants you to try one, too, so here’s how to make your own Decorative Mesh Flower Pot.
To make a Decorative Mesh Flower Pot, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam/FloraCraft® Make it: Fun® Foam: two, 3” discs; 4” foam ball
- Design it:® Simple Style® Decorative Mesh in orange and pink, 10” wide
- Terra cotta flower pot
- Small tree branches, three
- Acrylic craft paint in white
- Wrapped candies
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; stem wire; paintbrush
To make a Decorative Mesh Flower Pot:
- Paint the foam discs, flower pot, and branches white, and set aside to dry.
- Layer together 18” lengths of pink and orange decorative mesh. Starting along one 10” end, pleat and gather the length along the center; tie off with stem wire. Repeat to make a second decorative mesh “bow”.
- Place the gathered mesh “bows” side by side, and secure together at the center with stem wire. Fluff the mesh layers, creating a full, round flower.
- Repeat Steps 2 & 3 to make a second decorative mesh flower.
- Wrap a square of decorative mesh around each painted disc, and glue the mesh to the back. Glue a disc to the center of each flower.
- Glue the 4” ball into the flower pot. Trim the ball, if needed, to make it fit. Insert the three branches into the foam ball. Sandwich the stems between the two flowers, and glue the flowers together.
- Add candies to cover the top of the foam ball.
Another big part of the SNAP experience is the serious swag everyone gets to take home! If you’re in the craft industry, you definitely want these creative bloggers to take home a sample or two and try out your products. I came home with quite a collection of goodies, and I am giving away two, swag-filled prize packages. Each prize includes a different assortment, and might have goodies from Jo-Ann Stores, Heidi Swapp, Play Dough, Elmer’s, Aleene’s, McDonald’s, 3M, Laura Kelly, and more.
Plus, FloraCraft has graciously sweetened the swag and is providing each winner with decorative mesh and foam so you can make your own Decorative Mesh Flower Pot.
If you’d like a chance to win one of these goodie bags, tell me about the other blogs you follow. Who are your favorite, go-to bloggers and why? I’d love to hear, and maybe I’ll follow your favorites, too. Please enter by midnight on Thursday, May 14, and I’ll announce the winner on Friday, May 15.
I know it’s already been a long post today, but I really can’t close without a “thank you” to the amazing Tauni Everett and her team. Tauni is the creative and gracious mastermind behind SNAP, and her tireless energy and tireless smile are always inspiring.