Celebrate National Astronomy Day and make a Solar System model

Last week, I shared the Recycled Earth Day globe in time for Earth day tomorrow. Today, we’re leaving earth behind and travelling into outer space to celebrate National Astronomy Day on Saturday, April 25. I get asked a lot of questions about making a Solar System. In fact, DIY Solar Systems are so popular that I’ve shared three tutorials to make a Solar System, and I’m revisiting them today in honor National Astronomy Day. And if you’re a Star Wars fan, be sure to read to the end . . .

Three tutorials to make a Solar System. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Solar System Poster

How to make a Solar System Poster using balls of STYROFOAM. Save this one for school! At some point, every student has to make a model of the Solar System.

The “Real” Solar System

How to make a Solar System using Styrofoam balls

Solar System Mobile

One more way to make a model of the Solar System. Always good to have on file! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Star Wars Galaxy

Of course, with the new Star Wars moving coming out this summer, I would be remiss if I didn’t share another fan favorite from Mad in Crafts. Jessica and her son turned her Solar System into the Star Wars Galaxy. How cool is that?

So cool! Mad in Crafts shows you how to make a Star War Galaxy!

If you’d like to know what might be happening in your area to celebrate National Astronomy Day, you can check out this list.

JoJo, an all-American mutt. CraftsnCoffee.com.

JoJo

I’ve planned one more science project for later this week, and I’ll share a little story about our buddy JoJo, too. Hint: It’s something we ALL have in common yet it makes us all different. See you then!

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Kid's Crafts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Celebrate National Astronomy Day and make a Solar System model

1. Nephtyis says:

How cool is that?! I love it ♥

2. How fun! LOVE the Star Wars Solar System! My oldest grandson loved making the Solar System and now my youngest grandson is chomping at the bit. I think when he comes to spend some time with me this summer we are going to make his wish come true! Keeping this so we know the correct placement of each planet! Thanks for the inspiration!

Great ideas each of them. These will go into my solar system file for my last kiddo. I think it’s 6th grade my older kids had to make a solar system project so 2 more years. I really enjoy seeing all the great ideas you come up with. Thanks for creating for all ages. 🙂

You’ll be ready, Lisa. Thanks so much for the feedback, too, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the variety. I never know how it’s going to go over when I change it up, so I love to hear your comments. Sharon

I can agree with Sharon this project is popular. I have done the solar system project with my son before and we had an awesome time! He still has it hanging from the ceiling in his room. We always celebrate Astronomy Day. This year we are going to the planetarium for their “astronaut training event” –wonder what they’ll do…

What fun, Katiria! Your son is going to love his “astronaut training”, I’m sure. Who knows, maybe one day you’ll watch him blast off into outer space. How cool would that be? Enjoy the festivities on National Astronomy Day. Sharon

• Katiria says:

We’ve talked about it before and I get teary-eyed thinking about how proud I would be if he worked for NASA even in the slightest way because it’s been a passion for him since he was 5!

I bet it happens! Fingers crossed that I read about it one day. Sharon