Feather your springtime nest with this sweet bird’s nest

Let’s give Mother Nature a nudge and bring on a little springtime crafting! Rebekah Meier, a master at mixed media, shares this mixed media craft for spring, which I’m calling a Bird’s Nest Diorama. How clever is it that Rebekah nestled her little bird’s nest scene inside an egg? Spring really is on the horizon, and in the meantime, DIY this Bird’s Nest Diorama.

So sweet! A bird's nest nestled in a bird's nest. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Mixed Media Bird’s Nest Diorama by Rebekah Meier.

To make a Bird’s Nest Diorama, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:  4” Egg
  • Tissue paper with a music theme or other theme of your choice (Rebekah used tissue paper from Tim Holtz)
  • Spring stickers, including a bird (Rebekah used stickers from K & Company)
  • Bird’s nests: miniature and 3-1/2” in diameter
  • Excelsior moss
  • Distress Ink in antique linen
  • Mod Podge, gloss finish
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; sharp pencil; waxed dental floss; metal teaspoon; 1” paintbrush; cosmetic sponge

To make a Bird’s Nest Diorama:

1. Cut the egg in half horizontally:
  • Draw a line all the way around egg, from the narrow end to the wide end.
  • Score the foam with a sharp pencil as you draw your line.
  • Position dental floss on the narrow end and along the scored lines on both sides.
  • Pull on both ends of the dental floss, cutting through the egg.
  1. Carve out the flat side of the egg, creating a nook for the nest and bird.

3. Cut tissue paper into pieces. Brush Mod Podge onto the egg, apply the tissue paper, and brush on a top coat. Let dry.

1. Lightly sponge the egg with antique linen distress ink. Let dry.
  1. Position egg in the larger nest, and glue in place.
Bird's nest detail from a sweet Bird's Nest Diorama. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Rebekah found a bird sticker for her nest. You might even find a miniature bird for your diorama.

1. Add a small amount of excelsior moss in front. Glue mini bird’s nest in the cut-out nook in the egg.
  1. Glue a small bird to the nest. (Rebekah used a bird sticker.)
  1. Decorate with other small cut-outs and stickers. Rebekah used the word “Harmony” from her sticker pack.
A mixed media, spring craft on CraftsnCoffee.com.

There are so many ways that you could embellish your diorama egg.

Here’s another springtime project Rebekah shared a while back — her Mixed Media Spring Shrine. Beautiful!

DIY a mixed media Spring Shrine. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Mixed Media Spring Shrine.

I’m starting to plan for spring here on Crafts ‘n Coffee, and I am pulling together new ideas for Easter, too. Are there any springtime craft ideas you’d like to see here on Crafts ‘n Coffee?

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Easter Crafts, Home Decor, Mixed Media, Paper Crafts, Spring Crafts, Vintage Crafts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Feather your springtime nest with this sweet bird’s nest

1. Reblogged this on Free Vintage Illustrations and commented:
    Awesome example of mixed media art! This is definitely my kind of aesthetic. Love the birds nest, vintage image cut outs, and music notes. It really has that vintage whimsical feel. Great work 🙂

2. Sar Tann says:

This could not be any cuter. Love this idea.

3. What beautiful diorama! LOVE the Spring theme! It is just what I need this month! We have had exactly one day this month that the temperature has gotten above freezing and that day it was 33* so it was only by a hair that we made it! LOL TFS!

Soon, Barb, soon! Spring will arrive, and how sweet it will be. Wishing you more days of 33+ temperatures! (And in the meantime, you can stay inside and craft.) Sharon

• We finally hit a day that reached 40 degrees! Only one though and then we are back to the freezing temps!! Looking forward to feeling the warm sun on my face and seeing green instead of white.
        I don’t usually venture any further than the mailbox unless I have a doctor’s appointment or am going to the hospital so I don’t have to go out in the cold often. I still don’t like it though because I much prefer sitting on my patio reading a book or working in my flower garden. SOON it will be green! 🙂

Very soon, Barb. We had two warmer days, too, and now it’s cold again. But, we should see 40 this weekend. Hooray! You’ll be gardening before you know it. Sharon

4. Chris B. says:

Hi Sharon,
    These are beautiful! For the Spring Shrine I also found a “cold wax” encaustic process at http://allthingsencaustic.com/cold-wax . Ruth Maude lists the product, process, and the various supports MPO can be used on, and because it is a low-temp medium, perhaps it’s something that styrofoam would support as well. Look forward to more of your inspiring projects. Love your blog!

Thank you for the link, Chris. It looks like an interesting alternative, and yes, you might be able to use it on STYROFOAM Brand Foam, especially if you apply it to paper or other covering. If you experiment with it, please let me know how it goes. Happy crafting! Sharon

5. Angie Dyer says:

So precious! Lovely for both Spring and Easter! Thank you for sharing!

6. studiorose says:

These are both so very sweet and beautiful! I love spring crafts for their soft colors.

7. I ADORE this! My son plays piano and I’ve been looking for a craft incorporating musical notes, this is beautiful.

8. Paula Collins says:

OMG is this chick talented! Wow. Thank you very much for her tutorial on how to make this. I am off to the craft store to pick up eggs.

Thank you, Paula. And yes, Rebekah is amazing! I’m so glad you’re inspired — be sure to share a photo of your Bird’s Nest Diorama. Happy crafting! Sharon