It’s cold out there! The bunny who lives in the backyard hasn’t been seen in weeks, and the dog dashes out and back inside as fast as he can. How sweet it would be to see a little sign of spring, and that’s why I’m sharing this Glittering Bunny Topiary from Rebekah Meier. The bunny’s sparkling silhouette remind me that spring will be here soon.
To make a Glittering, Bunny Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 36″ sheet; and one 4” ball
- Craft stick, ¾” wide
- Acrylic craft paint in cream
- Crystal glitter, coarse
- Clay pot, 4”
- Tissue tape (Rebekah used Tim Holtz® Idea-ology® Tissue Tape in the Sketchbook pattern)
- Check ribbon, 1” x 1 yd.
- Lace, ½” x 18”
- Paper flowers, 16 – 20 (Rebekah used purchased flowers, and you could also DIY your own)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; sharp pencil; straight pins; craft knife or serrated knife; foam paintbrush; dental floss; box lid or newspaper
To make a Glittering Bunny Topiary:
1. Cut out the bunny pattern, pin it to the foam sheet, and trace around it with a sharp pencil.
2. Cut out the bunny by carefully cutting on the scored line with a craft knife or serrated knife. Finish shaping the bunny by sanding the edges with a scrap piece of foam, and smoothing with your hands.
3. Insert the craft stick in the center, bottom of the bunny.
4. Paint the bunny and craft stick, and while the paint is wet, sprinkle with glitter. Work over a box top, newspaper or tray for easier clean up. Let dry.
5. Paint clay pot, and let dry.
6. Wrap the pot in tissue tape, starting under the rim, and winding the tape down and around, till pot is covered.
7. Insert the 4″ ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam into the pot, and push down till the ball is snug in the pot.
8. Resting the pencil on the rim of the pot, draw a line all around the ball. Holding dental floss in both hands, pull it across the ball along the scored line. The floss will cut right through the foam.
9. Glue lace around the rim of the pot. Tie the check ribbon in a bow, and glue to the top of the pot.
10. Insert the craft stick into the center of the foam ball. Glue small amounts of excelsior around the top, covering the foam ball. Arrange and glue flowers around the top.
11. Tie a bow around the bunny’s neck.
If you’d like more of a bunny fix, here are a few more spring bunny tutorials.
Yesterday, I saw a beautiful spring photo of blooming crocus taken in Utah. Our crocus won’t bloom for a few months yet. Are you seeing signs of spring where you live?