This Mixed Media Christmas Angel is one of my favorites. I love the texture of the nail heads around her gown, and the contrast of the glistening, embossed wings. And a repurposed spoon for her head? Heavenly! We’re so close to Christmas that I hesitated sharing her today, but she’s too beautiful to keep under wraps. Read through the directions and you might be surprised that making this Mixed Media Christmas Angel is easier than she looks.
To make a Mixed Media Christmas Angel, you will need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” cone
- Acrylic craft paint in metallic silver
- Decorative furniture nails, about 150 (the actual number will depend on the size)
- Soup spoon
- Tooling metal in silver, 6” x 12”
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; stiff paintbrush; hacksaw; pencil; old magazine; adhesive tape; optional: knippers
To make a Mixed Media Christmas Angel:
1. Paint the foam cone silver and let dry.
2. Using the hacksaw, cut the handle from the spoon, ½” below the bowl of the spoon. This extra ½” will be the angel’s neck.
3. Insert the neck into the top of the cone and glue in place.
4. Cover the cone with the decorative furniture nails.
5. Use the patterns to trace the wings, arms, and halo onto a piece of silver tooling metal. Cut out using old scissors or knippers.
6. Emboss the metal pieces to add detail:
- Tape one of the metal pieces, front side down, onto an old magazine.
- Using a blunt pencil, draw the design onto the back side of the metal. Press lightly but firmly to emboss the metal.
- Turn the metal piece over and gently press down along each side of the lines. This will help to highlight the lines and make them more distinct.
- Rub the open areas with the pencil eraser to further enhance the details.
- Note: If you make a mistake, don’t worry! Simply turn the metal over to the opposite side and rub out the mistake.
7. Glue the halo to the back of the spoon and the wings to the back of the cone.
Isn’t she beautiful? You might also want to check out this round up of Angel crafts from a while ago.
Have you entered the celebratory giveaway? I’m celebrating one million page views this year on Crafts ‘n Coffee, and I hope you’ll celebrate with me by entering the giveaway. (I am having so much fun reading your answers, too.)