Eight inches of snow fell here yesterday, so it’s a good time to stay inside and make a few needle-felted Snowball Ornaments. If you’re new to needle felting, then start right here. Not only is this an easy needle felting project, I think it’s the easiest, DIY ornament in this week’s series of Classic Christmas Ornaments. If you’re looking for a more challenging Felted Christmas Ornament, I have a few more ideas for you, too. Read on!
To make a Felted Snowball Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” ball
- Wool roving, 1 oz. in natural
- Velvet ribbon: ¼” and ½” wide, cream color
- Silver wire, 2” length
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; pencil; felting needle*
*Note: Needle felting is a fast and easy craft, but the needle is extremely sharp. Please keep the needle from children. When you select a felting needle, remember that the higher the needle number, the finer the needle, and the smaller the holes in the project.
To make a Felted Snowball Ornament:
1. Place a piece of wool roving on the ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, and insert the felting needle through the roving and into the foam ball until the wool fibers are attached to the ball. Repeat, until the ball is completely covered in roving.
2. Twist the 2” length of silver wire around a pencil, making a loop for hanging. Twist ends together and insert into the top of the ornament. Secure with glue.
3. Insert an 8” length of ¼” velvet ribbon through the wire hanger, and glue edges together. Tie a bow in a length of ½” velvet ribbon and glue to the top of the ornament.
After making a few Felted Snowball Ornaments, if you’d like to test your felting skills, check out these sweet Needle Felted Snowman Ornaments by Candie Cooper.
Want more needle felting inspiration? Here are eight more needle felted ornaments.
Did you have a favorite from the week? Please let me know if any of this week’s ornaments made you “must-make” list.
Happy ornament crafting!