I have more than enough ribbon to make a tree full of these DIY Christmas Ribbon Ornaments, and I bet you do, too. (I have rainbows of ribbons in these handy storage containers stashed in my craft corner.) So, if you have lots of ribbon and a long gift list, these handmade Ribbon Ornaments will bust your stash, not your cash. And did I mention that they’re beautiful, too?
If you’re keeping track of this week’s handmade ornaments, today’s Ribbon Ornament is in the 11:00 position in the photo below. At 12:00 is the Beaded Ornament; at 7:00, the Button Ornament; and in middle, the Glittered Ornament.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” Ball
- Satin ribbon, assorted widths in white and cream (or other colors of your choice)
- Velvet ribbon: ¼” and ½” wide, cream color
- Silver wire, 2” length
- Fabric glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins
To make a Creamy Ribbon Christmas Ornament:
1. Cut the satin ribbon into approximately 13” lengths.
2. Wrap a ribbon around the ball, pinning the ends to the ball. Continue to wrap and pin ribbons to the ball, overlapping them as you go so that the ball is completely covered. If needed, you can also use a little fabric glue to help hold the ribbons in place.
3. Twist the 2” length of silver wire around a pencil, forming a loop for hanging. Twist ends together and insert into the top of the ornament. Secure with glue.
4. Insert an 8” length of ¼” velvet ribbon through the wire hanger, and glue edges together. Tie a bow in a length of ½” velvet ribbon and glue to the top of the ornament.
Do you need more ideas for using up that ribbon stash? In a post a few years ago, I shared a pretty collection of Ribbon Ornaments. You might also be inspired by the different colors used to make these ornaments.
Did you notice the new Crafts ‘n Coffee header at the top of the page? I thought that the photo of this week’s ornaments was so pretty (thank you, Studio Rossi), and it would be a lovely holiday banner for the blog. How do you like the change?
Tune in tomorrow for another stash busting ornament.