During the Christmas season, every day and everyone seems just a little more glamorous. This dazzling, Beaded Ornament is all that and more, layered with seed beads, pearls and twinkling rhinestones. Can I hear an “ooh” and an “ahh”? It’s the second ornament in this week’s’ series of handmade ornaments. (For more glitz, check out yesterday’s Sparkling, Glittered Ornament.)
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” ball
- Creative Paperclay™, one package
- Seed bead assortment in clear and silver
- 8mm pearls
- Adhesive backed gems
- Silver wire, 2” length
- Velvet ribbon: ¼” and ½” wide, cream color
- Mod Podge
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; wooden skewer; stiff paintbrush; newspaper or box lid; acrylic clay roller
To make a Beaded Ornament:
1. Cover the ball of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam with clay:
- Roll a piece of Paperclay to 1/8” thick.
- Wrap the clay around the foam ball.
- Repeat, till ball is completely covered with clay.
- Smooth seams with wet fingertips.
- Let dry completely.
2. Insert a wooden skewer into the ornament to use as a handle. Paint ball with a coat of Mod Podge. While still wet, pour seed beads onto the ornament, completely covering it. Work over newspaper or a box lid for easier clean up. Let dry.
3. Glue 8mm pearl beads onto the ornament.
4. Adhere adhesive backed gems to the ornament.
5. Twist the 2” length of silver wire around a pencil, forming a loop for hanging. Twist ends together and insert into the top of the ornament. Secure with glue.
6. Insert an 8” length of ¼” velvet ribbon through the wire hanger, and glue edges together. Tie a bow in a length of ½” velvet ribbon and glue to the top of the ornament.
The handmade ornament series continues tomorrow. I think there are quite a few Crafts ‘n Coffee readers who love a pretty button craft, so tomorrow’s ornament will be for you!