This week we’re celebrating handmade Christmas ornaments on Crafts ‘n Coffee. Every day I’ll have a new tutorial for making Christmas ornaments – six gorgeous, DIY ornaments in all. If you’re like me, and wondering how you’ll squeeze in a holiday craft this year, I hope you’ll give one of these ornament tutorials a try. Ornaments are perfect for tight schedules – they’re small, these are all easy, and chances are, they’ll use the bits and scraps you already have on hand.
Rebekah Meier designed this collection, and I’m starting with the Sparkling, Glittered Ornament today — it’s the one in the center. You’ll see these really are super-simple – four steps and you’re done. Rebekah used silver glitter, and you can, too. Or, try red, gold, white, or icy blue. (Can you picture a glittering, Frozen theme tree?)
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” ball
- Fine glitter in silver or other color
- Silver wire, 2” length
- Velvet ribbon, 1/4″ and 1/2″ wide, in cream or other coordinating color
- Mod Podge
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; wooden skewer; stiff paintbrush; newspaper or box lid; pencil
To make a Sparkling, Glittered Ornament:
1. Insert bamboo skewer into the foam ball to use as a handle. Brush Mod Podge onto the ball, covering it completely.
2. While still wet, shake glitter onto the foam ball. Rotate the ball as you sprinkle, making sure it’s completely covered. (Hint: Work over newspaper or a box lid for easier clean up.)
3. Twist the 2” length of silver wire around a pencil, forming a loop for hanging. Twist ends together and insert into the top of the ornament. Secure with glue.
4. Thread an 8” length of ¼” velvet ribbon through the wire hanger, and glue ends together. Tie a bow in a length of ½” velvet ribbon and glue to the top of the ornament.
As long as you have your supplies out, create a few more sparklers like this Glittered Christmas Ornament.
Rebekah also designed this Glittered Christmas Topiary Tree.
I hope you’ll join in this week’s celebration of handmade Christmas ornaments.
Happy Monday and happy crafting.