I’m wrapping up Candy Corn Crafts Week with this masked man (but don’t worry, this is definitely a non-scary Halloween decoration). I know for a fact that this is a quick and easy DIY Halloween decoration – I cut, painted and glittered this mega candy corn in a 30-minute window between errands. The mask adds a lot of personality, and he makes me laugh every time I look at him. I hope you’ll make a Glittered Candy Corn Door Hanger, too. Here’s the tute.
To make a Glittered Candy Corn Door Hanger, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 18” x 1” sheet
- Scrap paper (for pattern)
- Acrylic craft paints in orange, white and yellow
- Glitter, crystalline
- Wiggle eyes, 1-1/2”
- Half mask (mine measured 7-1/2″ across at the widest point)
- Wire for hanging, about 28”
- Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins; sharp pencil; Exacto® knife; wood skewers; stiff paintbrushes, 1” and ½” wide; newspaper; wood dowel
To make a Glittered Candy Corn Door Hanger:
1. Draw a candy corn pattern on scrap paper. To make my pattern, I drew a triangle that measured 12” wide at the base and 15” tall. Round the corners to create the candy corn shape. Cut out the pattern.
2. Pin the pattern to the foam sheet, and draw around pattern with sharp pencil.
3. Remove pattern, and score again on the lines you made earlier with the pencil, this time using the Exacto knife. Score the foam as deeply as you can.
4. Position the foam so that the score line is along the edge of a table, and snap off the extra foam. (I’ve used several techniques to cut out candy corn the last few years, and this method is the easiest yet.) Round the corners and any rough edges with a scrap piece of foam.
5. Insert a wood skewer or chopstick into the bottom of the candy corn, and use this as a handle as you paint. Squeeze paint directly onto the foam, and paint to look like a candy corn. I used the larger, 1” brush to fill in most areas, and the more narrow, ½” brush for better control where one color ended and another began.
6. Working over newspaper or a box lid, liberally sprinkle the wet paint with glitter. Lay him flat to dry.
7. Cut a 28” length of wire. Curl it around a wood dowel or other round handle. Bend to make a right angle 2” from each end, and glue and insert the ends of the wire into the candy corn.
8. Position mask and wiggle eyes on the candy corn, and glue in place.
I found my super-hero, half-mask at Target in the party section. There were two masks in the package, and you know who got to wear the second mask.
I have a few more Candy Corn Door Hangers you can check out:
And here are all three, side-by-side.
Don’t forget about the Candy & Crafts Giveaway I announced earlier this week!
Do you have a favorite candy corn craft from this week?
Have a good weekend, and happy candy corn crafting.