If you’re looking for kid-friendly Halloween decorations that aren’t scary or gory, then you can’t go wrong with candy corn. Today’s Glittered Candy Corn Garland is totally sweet and sparkly, and a very non-scary Halloween decoration. Remember yesterday’s Glittered Candy Corn? You’ll want to make a few extra so you can also make this Glittered Candy Corn Garland. (And don’t forget about the giveaway.)
To make a Glittered Candy Corn Garland, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 18” x 1” sheet; optional: 5” cube or scrap piece
- Scrap paper (for pattern)
- Acrylic craft paints in orange, white and yellow
- Glitter, crystalline
- Fabrics, 5 – 7 assorted prints, ¼ yd each
- Ribbons and trims, several colors and styles
- Black ribbon, the length of the finished garland you’d like to have
- Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins; sharp pencil; Exacto® knife; wood skewers; stiff paintbrushes, 1” and ½” wide; newspaper; extra large needle with large eye; optional: iron
To make a Glittered Candy Corn Garland:
1. Follow the instructions for making Glittered Candy Corn.
2. When the paint is dry, push a wood skewer all the way through the candy corn, from one side to the other, about 1-1/2” to 2” from the base.
3. Trim end of ribbon into narrow point and thread through the needle. Insert the needle into the hole, and push it through with the wood skewer. Thread all of the glittered candy corn onto the ribbon. (NOTE: I found this to be the hardest part of the project. In retrospect, I wish I’d used a larger skewer or maybe a chopstick to make my first hole or “tunnel” through the candy corn. While I didn’t do it this way, you might give it a try.)
4. Tear your fabrics into 1” and 1-1/2” wide strips. If strips are too curled, press with an iron. Cut strips into 18” lengths.
5. Tie strips onto the ribbon between each glittered candy corn. Add ribbons and trims between the fabric strips.
6. Swag your garland across the mantel, along a railing, or even across several chairs. Enjoy!
If you’d like more ideas for decorating with candy corn crafts, check out last year’s Candy Corn Crafts Week.
To celebrate Candy Corn Crafts Week, I’m giving away two Candy & Crafts Prize Packages. Each prize package includes:
- One bag each of original, Indian, s’mores, and caramel macchiato candy corn.
- Copies of Better Homes & Gardens Halloween Tricks & Treats, Holiday Crafts and Christmas Ideas.
To win these goodies, tell me about the magazines, blogs, web sites and other places you go for craft ideas. I’m eager to know where you find your inspiration. I’ve loved the feedback you’ve given so far, so tell me more! Comment by Monday, September 22, and I’ll announce the winner on Tuesday, September 23.
**Please Note: This Giveaway is Closed**
See you tomorrow for more candy corn fun — sneak peek in this photo.
Happy candy corn crafting.