With a blog named Crafts ‘n Coffee, you’d think I’d have featured coffee bean crafts a long time ago, yes? How have I not shared a craft or two made with coffee beans? I’m on it now with several coffee themed crafts made with my favorite bean, the aromatic coffee bean. I started summer with a Patriotic Topiary by Anastasia Pollack, craft editor and amateur sleuth, and I’ll end the season with Anastasia’s Espresso Bean Topiary — and a Crafts & Coffee Giveaway. To make up for lost time, I have a tutorial to make a Coffee Bean Christmas Ornament, too. Go grab your mug and read on! (Please note: This giveaway is closed.)
Anastasia Pollack is the lead character in the crafty mystery series written by Lois Winston. Anastasia has a blog where she shares the tutorial to make this Espresso Bean Topiary. Anastasia is also featured in today’s Crafts & Coffee Giveaway . . .
The Coffee Bean Ornament is a great gift idea for teachers, neighbors, or any coffee fanatic in your life (maybe that’s you?). If you skip the hanger, you could also pile these in a bowl and display them year-round. Here’s the tutorial.
To make a Coffee Bean Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 3” ball
- Acrylic craft paint in dark brown
- Acrylic sealer, glossy
- Roasted coffee beans, about 3/4 C.
- Ribbon, 1-1/2” wide in gold
- Gold cord, 4″ (for hanging)
- Ornament cap in gold
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; chopstick or wood skewer; 1″ flat paintbrush
To make a Coffee Bean Ornament:
1. Insert the chopstick or wood skewer into the bottom of the ball and use as a handle. Paint the ball brown. (You’ll cover the hole in Step 5.)
2. Once the paint is dry, insert the metal ornament cap into the ball, and glue in place.
3. Starting at top, glue coffee beans around the metal cap. Continue gluing on coffee beans in circular rows till the ball is covered. Let glue dry.
4. Spray the ornament with the sealer.
5. Hot glue the tassel to the bottom of the ornament, covering the hole you made in Step 1.
6. Tie the ribbon in a bow and glue to the top of the ornament.
7. Thread cord through the ornament cap, and knot ends to form a loop. Glue knot to ornament.
Now, about that Crafts & Coffee Giveaway, which includes a few summertime memories, and coffee, of course. Here are the details:
- When I featured Anastasia’s Patriotic Topiary back in May, I mentioned that I had another one of her books to give away – Crafty Crimes, a trio of mini mysteries.
- Do you remember Eileen Hull’s visit this summer, and the pretty, Coffee Filter Flower Wreath we made? I am including the summer issue of Where Women Create with the full-page feature about Eileen and her Paper Trail road trip.
- And two bags of Starbuck’s coffee – ground, not whole beans. If you like, pass one bag on to a crafty friend, and suggest that she follow along with Crafts ‘n Coffee, too.
To win the Crafts & Coffee Giveaway, tell me what you’re crafting right now. Leave your comment by the end of day Monday, August 25, and I’ll announce the giveaway winner on Tuesday, August 26.
Here’s a little peek at something I’m working on, and you’ll see a lot more of these in a few weeks . . .
Happy crafting (and coffee).
**Please note: This Giveaway is Closed!**