I’m sure you’re seeing lots of back-to-school crafts right now, like school bus yellow, DIY Pencil Wreaths. I’ve featured a more traditional Back-to-School Wreath, too, but today’s sleek, back-to-school Pencil Wreath knows that basic black is the key to high style. In fact, this Pencil Wreath resembles a sophisticated, and fashionable, starburst wreath. You start with yellow, No. 2 pencils from the dollar store, and a coat of black paint adds style. Hang it on your own door, or give it as a back-to-school gift to an appreciative teacher.
To make a Sleek, Back-to-School Pencil Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” wreath with flat front
- Pencils, 64
- Acrylic craft paint in black
- Wire, 6” (for hanging)
Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Stiff bristle paintbrush; wire knippers; straight pins
To make a Sleek, Back-to-School Pencil Wreath:
1. Paint the wreath black and let dry.
2. Starting at the top, or 12:00 position, divide the wreath into quarters, and then into eighths. Mark each section with straight pins. This will help you arrange the pencils evenly around the wreath.
3. Place a pencil on the wreath at the 12:00 position. Press the pencil into the wreath, creating a depression. Repeat, making grooves around the wreath every ½”. Use the pins marking each section to guide you and keep the grooves evenly spaced. When finished, you should have 64 grooves.
4. Place the first five pencils into five adjacent grooves. Stagger the pencils in this manner:
- The tips of the first and fifth pencils should almost touch
- The second and fourth pencils should line up with the inside edge of the wreath.
- The center pencil should almost touch the first and fifth.
- Refer to the photo to double check the placement.
- Glue the pencils in place.
5. Repeat, adding five pencils at a time, till the wreath is covered.
6. Paint the pencils black, and touch up the wreath, too. Let dry.
7. Brush on a generous coat of Mod Podge to seal the wreath.
8. Form wire into a loop, and glue and pin the wire loop to the back of the wreath for hanging. Let glue dry before hanging.
You could hang this Back-to-School Wreath year-round, really. I bet most people wouldn’t even know it was made from pencils.
Has school started in your neighborhood yet? We have a few more weeks to go till that yellow school bus shows up here.