If you’re looking to make spring eggs that don’t scream “Easter” in bright, vivid colors, take a look at Rebekah Meier’s Butterfly Eggs. These butterfly beauties are soft and subtle, and you could easily display Nature’s Butterfly Eggs year-round. Thank you, Rebekah, for sharing your tutorial. (And don’t forget about the Most Eggscellent Prize Package giveaway.)
To make Nature’s Butterfly Eggs, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 3” & 4” eggs
- Tissue paper in white
- Butterfly stickers, flat and dimensional
- Acrylic craft paint in cream and burnt umber
- Decoupage medium, matte
- Varnish, satin finish
- Tim Holtz Tissue Tape, Sketchbook or other pattern of your choice
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; wooden dowel; 1” flat paintbrush; old newspaper; paper towels
To make Nature’s Butterfly Eggs:
1. Insert a thin, wooden dowel into the wide end of each egg and use it as a handle. Tear tissue paper into small pieces, and cover the eggs with tissue using the decoupage medium. Let dry.
2. Paint eggs cream. Let dry.
3. Cover your work surface with old newspaper. Dilute burnt umber paint with water (1 part paint to 2 parts water). Dip paintbrush into mixture, and gently throw paint onto eggs, creating a speckled finish. Blot excess paint with a paper towel. Let dry.
4. Apply one coat of varnish to eggs.
5. To finish the 4” egg: Wrap tissue tape around the circumference. Apply dimensional butterfly sticker to the center of the egg; secure with a dot of glue.
6. To finish the 3” egg: Apply a flat butterfly sticker to the center of egg. Brush on a coat of varnish, creating a decoupage effect.
7. Carefully remove the wood dowel, and cover the hole with a small piece of tissue paper.
Now that your Nature’s Butterfly Eggs are finished, you can use your leftover tissue tape to make Vintage, Tissue Tape Eggs.
And of course, I can’t have an Eggstravaganza without a Most Eggscellent giveaway. This year’s Eggstravaganza has a sweet prize package (sorry, the basket itself is not included):
- One dozen eggs of STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- A $25 gift card to your favorite craft store (choose from Michaels, Jo-Ann Stores and Hobby Lobby)
- A craft apron
- Starbuck’s Via Coffee
- Easter candy – yummy!
I want to know what you’re crafting this spring — tell me about your crafty adventures right now.
Happy Easter Egg Crafting.