After this winter, who doesn’t need a reason to celebrate? Well, Mardi Gras is March 4, and need I say more? Last year, I used my stash of Mardi Gras beads to make a Mardi Gras Bead Wreath. This year, Kathleen George turned her beads into Mardi Gras Bead Cones. Aren’t they fun? If you don’t happen to have beads on hand, no worries – Oriental Trading will deliver them to your door.
To make Mardi Gras Bead Cones, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” x 4” & 12” x 4” cones
- Mardi Gras beads, about 25 per cone (Kathleen used several types of necklaces from Oriental Trading Co.)
- Acrylic craft paint in metallic gold
- Craft pins, 1”
- Low-temp glue
To make Mardi Gras Bead Cones:
1. Paint the cones gold, and let dry.
2. Play around with the beads on the cone, temporarily pinning them to the cone, till you have a design you like. (Kathleen used several layers of beads on her cones. She first covered the cone with necklaces with smaller beads, and then layered on top chunkier, more textured beads.)
3. When you like your design, glue the beads onto the cone.
4. Embellish by draping additional beads around the cone.
If you have any beads leftover, try making the Mardi Gras Bead Wreath I made last year.
What do you do to celebrate Mardi Gras?