I have an easy, and pretty, Christmas topiary idea today. If you’re still in a food coma, these easy Christmas Cones are a fun way to wake up and get in the Christmas crafting spirit. Do you remember Patty Schaffer’s Ruffled Burlap Halloween Cones? Patty used the same technique to make both the Ruffled Burlap Christmas Cones, and the sweet Ruffled Ribbon Cones. You won’t believe how fast you can make these!
To make a Ruffled Burlap Christmas Cone, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” or 12” cone
- Wired burlap ribbon in a Christmas print, 2-1/2” wide (If your ribbon is a different width, that’s o.k. You’ll just use a different number of layers to cover your cone.)
- Embellishments: Ornament pick or Christmas ornament; faux boxwood or other Christmas greens; large jingle bell
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; tape measure; seam gauge or ruler; straight pins
To make a Ruffled Burlap Christmas Cone:
1. Ruffle your ribbon:
- Measure the circumference of the cone 2” up from the bottom. Cut a length of ribbon that’s approximately 1-1/2 times the circumference.
- Carefully pull the wire at one end, and then bend it so it won’t slip back into the ribbon. Carefully pull wire on the other end, gathering the ribbon and creating a ruffle.
- Continue to gather from each end until the ribbon fits around the cone.
- Pin the ribbon around the cone, slightly overlapping the ends in back.
- Repeat, until your cone is covered in ruffled layers.
- Spot glue as needed to hold gathered ribbon layers in place.
2. If using an ornament pick, clip the wood dowel so it’s several inches long. Insert the dowel into the cone, and glue the ornament in place. Or, glue a glass ornament to the top.
3. For the larger topiary, glue several small pieces of artificial boxwood or other Christmas greens around the top, making a tiny wreath. Glue a large jingle bell in the center of the wreath.
Snowflake Ribbon Christmas Cones
These are made just like the Ruffled Burlap Christmas Cones. Patty used snowflakes for her toppers, but you could use the ornaments or jingle bells, too.
Today is also the day I announce the winner of the Christmas Deco Mesh giveaway. Random.org selected #2 — Carrie! Congratulations, Carrie, you’ve won two rolls of Deco Mesh, and two, 4” balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Please contact me so we can arrange for the shipping.
We’re home and crafting with family today. How about you? Do you have any post-Thanksgiving traditions? Do you get up early for the Black Friday shopping deals?
Happy Christmas crafting.