These cheerful Peppermint Pinwheel Topiaries stand more than 12” tall. They would make a stand-out addition to your mantel or a buffet table. Or, add a hanger to the peppermint “candies” and they become Christmas ornaments. This wraps up the many red & white Christmas decorations featured in the Red & White, Peppermint Stripe Christmas Mantel series. I love the combination of red & white for Christmas decorating, so I can’t say this is the last of our red & white Christmas crafts . . .
To make a Peppermint Pinwheel Topiary, you’ll need:
(Materials are for one topiary)
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: One 4″ disc & one 2″ ball
- Acrylic craft paint in white
- Glitter spray (Rebekah used Krylon® Glitter Blast™)
- Small clay pot
- Felt: Red & white
- Wood dowel, ¼” x 12”
- Ribbon, red
- Buttons, ½” white
- Ball head pins in red
- Crinkled shred
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; pencil; foam paint brush
To make a Peppermint Pinwheel Topiary:
1. Paint dowel rod and clay pot white, and let dry.
2. Trace around the disc twice on white felt, and cut out circles. Glue one to each side of the disc.
3. Glue a 1” x 11” strip of white felt around the edge of the disc.
4. Cut five pinwheel shapes from the red felt. Cut free-hand, or use Rebekah’s pinwheel pattern. Glue onto the felt-covered disc.
5. Pin button onto the center of the pinwheel.
6. Cut a very small hole into the felt wrapped around the edge of the disc, and insert the dowel. Remove the dowel, add a dab of glue to the hole, and insert the dowel again. Let glue dry.
7. Wrap the red ribbon around the dowel, and secure with glue.
8. Tie a bow around the dowel, underneath the peppermint.
9. Place the 2” ball into the clay pot. Insert the dowel, remove, add glue to the hole, and insert the dowel again. Let glue dry.
10. Cover the top of the pot with crinkled shred.
11. Spray on glitter spray for sparkle.
In case you missed any of the other red & white Christmas crafts, here’s a quick reference to the projects featured this past week:
Do you have a favorite from the series Red & White, Peppermint Stripe Christmas Mantel? Please let me know if you’ve been inspired. And like I said, this won’t be the last of the red & white Christmas ideas . . .