Isn’t this the cutest snowman? I know that several of you following along with the Red & White, Peppermint Stripe Christmas Mantel have been waiting for the tutorial to make this sweet, Peppermint Snowman. And today is the day! I’ll start with a thank you to Rebekah Meier for sharing this cutie with us, and then it’s on to the tutorial for making the Peppermint Snowman.
To make a Peppermint Snowman, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” egg and 2” ball
- Clay pot, small
- Felt or fleece, scraps
- Chenille sock in cream
- Holiday sock in baby size (for the hat)
- Jingle bells, three small red
- Head pins in black:
- Two medium (eyes)
- Five small (mouth)
- Wooden dowel, 1/8” diameter
- Floral wire
- Mini light strand (found in the dollhouse or miniatures aisle)
- Cosmetic blush
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; toothpicks; foam paintbrush; pencil sharpener; wire cutters
To make a Peppermint Snowman:
1. Paint clay pot with a thin, even layer of snow paint. Let dry.
2. Make the snowman body. Insert several toothpicks halfway into the ball, and pick and glue the ball to the narrow end of the egg.
3. Insert the snowman body, ball first, into the chenille sock and all the way to the toe. Twist the sock around the snowman’s neck, and then pull the sock down around the egg. Cut off the sock, leaving a tail about 1” long. Using your fingers, make a thumb-size indentation in the bottom of the egg. Push the excess sock into the hole. Spot glue, if needed.
4. Glue snowman to the inside of pot.
5. Glue three jingle bells to the front of snowman.
6. Cut a narrow strip of felt or fleece and tie around the neck for a scarf.
7. Make the snowman face:
- Sharpen the wood dowel with a pencil sharpener, and paint the pointed end orange. Let dry. Cut off a ¾” length and insert into the center of the head for a carrot nose.
- Insert black head pins for eyes and mouth.
- Using finger, blush cheeks with cosmetic blush.
8. Make the hat. Cut a 2” length from the baby sock. Place the ribbed edge on the head. Tie off the top of the sock with a scrap of felt or fleece. Cut snips into top of hat, creating fringe. Glue hat to the head.
9. Twist floral wire to create arms with forks at the end. Insert one arm into each side of snowman.
10. Stretch a light strand from one arm to the other.
11. Spray on a dusting of glitter spray.
Now, who is going to make this adorable Peppermint Snowman? If you do, are you making it for yourself, or to give as a gift?
I’ll wrap up the series Red & White, Peppermint Stripe Christmas Mantel series tomorrow.
See you then.