Happy Halloween (and my Halloween craft fail)

Happy Halloween! I hope you have a fun day today, full of treats and no tricks. And speaking of tricks, I wanted to share my Halloween craft fail with you. When I shared the roundup of Cheesecloth Ghost tutorials, I decided to make one, too. And I did, but I am not happy with it. Instead of standing tall and scary, he’s flat as a pancake and won’t stand up! If you have any experience here, maybe you have a suggestion for me.

Why won't my cheesecloth ghost stand up? Where did I go wrong? (I do like his shape, however.)

I had planned to stand my Cheesecloth Ghost in front of the fireplace, but oops, he doesn’t stand!

First, I made my form from a 6” ball and an 18” cone of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. I cut apart a hanger and wrapped the wire around the top of the cone to make the arms. So far, so good. (Note that neat crackle finish on the cone? We used it in a home décor photo shoot, and I decided to repurpose it for my Cheesecloth Ghost form).

How to make a form for a Cheesecloth Ghost. Use a ball and cone of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.

I used a 6″ ball and 18″ cone for my form. I repurposed the cone from an earlier home decor photo shoot. Don’t you love the crackle finish?

I dipped the cheesecloth in the fabric stiffener, shaped it around the form, and let it dry. And then it sort of crumpled after I pulled it off the form. I have a few theories as to what may have gone wrong:

1. My form was two feet tall – was it too tall?

2. Should I have used a double layer of cheesecloth to make it more sturdy?

3. Maybe my fabric stiffener wasn’t strong enough? Or, as it was a few years old, was it no longer good?

I like his shape and I could still hang him on the porch to greet trick-or-treaters tonight, but it’s raining, and I’m not sure he’ll hold up. If you’ve made a cheesecloth ghost, do you have any advice for me?

Enough about tricks, let’s talk about treats. Start saving those candy wrappers tonight so you can repurpose them and make this cute and colorful Candy Wrapper Pencil Cube and Candy Wrapper Picture Frame.

DIY a pencil cube using recycled candy wrappers and a Styrofoam cube

Recycle candy bar wrappers and make a picture frame

And finally, here’s my favorite Halloween costume of the day! My little guy is ready to take on those trick-or-treaters, don’t you think?

A knight in shining armor! What a cute Halloween costume!

Charge! Go get ’em, JoJo!

Adorable "knight in shining armor" Halloween costume.

Or, maybe I’ll just sit here . . .

Happy Halloween to you! Enjoy.

This entry was posted in Halloween Crafts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Happy Halloween (and my Halloween craft fail)

1. Sar Tann says:

I have made many ghosts like this and used them over and over. I usually make them with a foil form but I don’t think the form you use is that import. What is important is the stiffener, I use Aleene’s Fabric Stiffener and Draping Liquid. You can also use reg Aleene’s but I think the draping liquid is thicker. I’ve also used Elmers glue and it worked well. When I make them I make sure the cloth is completely saturated with the stiffener. I pull the fabric out of the stiffener and then place it back in it a few times to make sure the fabric is completely covered. Then I drape it over my form. Make sure you don’t squeeze all the stiffener out of the cheesecloth. Let dry completely. Be very careful when you remove your shape. If it’s stiff not stiff enough you can drape it over the form again and tap more fabric stiffener on it and let dry again. I’ve never had to do that but I know you can.

• Sar Tann says:

Forgot to add…You can also make animal shapes etc. If you put enough stiffener on the cheesecloth you can make pretty much make any shape providing you have a form. 🙂

Boy, there’s no way my cheesecloth would have made anything very complex! I think I can probably re-use it next year and just soak it again. Happy crafting to you! Sharon

Thank you for the advice! I didn’t use the stiffener you suggested, and I really think I need to try something else. This is on my list for next year — I’ll try it again. Sharon

2. Love your pup’s costume ; )

3. Valerie says:

Just saw this being done on the “Chew” TV show……they used a large soda bottle and taped a balloon to the top about the size of a grapefruit…then wrapped a wire hanger around the lip of the bottle and formed the arms…they used a liquid starch….single cheese cloth …..they came out adorable…I have not had the chance to make them this year but they are on my list for next year…I am sure if you go to their website they might have it archived….The Chew…

I want to try this again, too, Valerie. It’s so easy, and you’d think I could get it right. Ah well . . .next year! That’s a really helpful tutorial, too. Happy crafting! Sharon

4. Suzze says:

The Chew made a similar craft the other day, and they turned out really well. You can actually watch the segment. http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/blogs/Craft-Corner/Clintons-Craft-Corner-Halloween-Floating-Ghosts

Thanks so much, Suzze. I just watched it and I love the tip about the cooking spray. Wish I’d known that before! Fun show, too. Happy crafting! Sharon

JoJo makes a cute horse for the knight. To bad your ghost doesn’t stand up. I spent the last 2 days working on a poster for Senior Night for Volleyball….I hope my daughter likes it. I changed it after she saw the rough draft. 🙂 Happy Halloween!… am off to volleyball… hubby is off to trick or treating with our little one. What fun!

You sound busy as usual, Lisa. Let us know how your daughter likes the “revised” poster, and good luck to her team. I hope they win! Happy haunting! Sharon

6. I think your ghost needs a little more definition where the neck is, but by the same token, ghosts don’t really have a specific shape. I really just think the problem is not stiff enough.

7. Cookie 17 says:

ha,ha, these are cutest thing’s love all of it,& dog is so cute,he would get special doggie biscuit ,,,ha,ha,Booooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The vet thinks he’s had a few too many doggie biscuits already, so I don’t think he’ll be trick-or-treating tonight. Thanks for stopping in, and happy Halloween to you. Sharon

A brave knight What a cute idea!

Thanks! I find it much more amusing/entertaining than JoJo does. He’s not such a fan of costumes! I know your son will look super-cute in his Minion costume today — have fun! Sharon