Looking for an easy way to decorate with burlap for Halloween? Wait till you see how easy it is to make these Ruffled Burlap Halloween Topiaries. The secret is wired burlap ribbon. To make each ruffled layer, you simply pull on the wire along one edge. And how about that chevron print burlap ribbon? Chevron + Burlap = total score for your easy Halloween decor. Don’t you love how designer Patty Schaffer gave each Ruffled Burlap Halloween Cone a slightly different personality?
To make a Ruffled Burlap Halloween Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” x 9” or 5” x 12” cone
- Wired burlap ribbon, solid and/or print, 2-1/2” wide (If your ribbon is a different width, that’s o.k. You’ll just use a different number of layers to cover your cone.)
- Wired ribbon in coordinating color (optional)
- Embellishments: Your choice of Halloween spiders; spider webbing; Halloween raven; Spanish moss; mini witch hat; pompom trim
- Signs (optional): cardstock, toothpicks, black acrylic paint
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; tape measure; seam gauge or ruler; straight pins; computer (if making signs)
To make a Ruffled Burlap Halloween Topiary:
1. Ruffle your ribbon:
- Measure the circumference of the cone 2” up from the bottom. Cut a length of ribbon that’s approximately 1-1/2 times the circumference.
- Carefully pull the wire at one end, and then bend it so it won’t slip back into the ribbon. Carefully pull wire on the other end, gathering the ribbon and creating a ruffle.
- Continue to gather from each end until the ribbon fits around the cone.
- Pin the ribbon around the cone, slightly overlapping the ends in back.
- Repeat, until your cone is covered in ruffled layers. Optional: alternate layers between burlap ribbon and solid ribbon.
- Spot glue as needed to hold gathered ribbon layers in place.
Ruffled Topiary with Spider:
1. Use your computer to make a ‘Beware!’ sign for the top of the topiary. Create two black filled rectangles approximately 1-1/2” high by 3” wide. Use white text for the lettering and add the word ‘Beware!’ to one of the black rectangles. (Be sure to use a spooky font!) Print. Cut out both rectangles.
2. Paint a toothpick black; let dry.
3. Glue the front and back of the sign together, with the black toothpick in between. Insert the sign into the top of the topiary.
4. Add spider webbing to the cone, stretching it from the sign to the bottom.
5. Glue one spider to the top, positioned so he’s crawling up the sign; glue the second spider on one of the ruffles.
Ruffled Topiary with Raven’s Nest:
1. Glue a small amount of Spanish moss to the top of the topiary to create a nest. Glue raven in the nest.
2. Make your “Happy Halloween” sign, following Steps 1 – 3 above. The sign measures 2-1/2” square. Insert the sign into the top of the cone.
Ruffled Topiary with Witch Hat:
1. Before you ruffle each strip of burlap ribbon, glue pompom trim along one edge. Let glue dry. Follow the instructions above to ruffle your ribbon and cover the cone.
2. Glue small witch hat to the top of the cone. Glue a strip of purple ribbon around the crown of the hat.
Wouldn’t these be cute lined up on your mantel? Along a bookshelf? On a buffet? Or?
I have my mums and pumpkins on the porch, but I don’t yet have my Halloween decorations displayed inside the house. Do you?