Have you used Deco Mesh, the colorful mesh ribbon that flexes, bends and wraps? It’s a hot product right now, and I was excited when FloraCraft sent me a sample box. I shipped a few rolls to Patty Schaffer, and she created several very fun deco mesh crafts that I’ll be sharing in the weeks ahead. Today, I’m sharing Patty’s Halloween Pouf, Deco Mesh Topiary. (And FloraCraft is offering the supplies to DIY your own!)
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Two, 4” balls
- Wood dowel, 3/8” x 16”
- Decorative Mesh, 10” wide, in orange, purple, light green (you’ll find it at WalMart)
- Terra Cotta Pot, 5”
- Chenille stems in purple
- Wiggle eyes, 20, 28mm
- Spray paint: Primer and Black gloss (Patty used Krylon)
- Tissue paper in purple
- Low-temperature glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; newspaper; optional: serrated knife
To make a Halloween Pouf, Deco Mesh Topiary:
1. Protect work area with newspaper, and work outside or in a well-ventilated area. Following instructions on the can, spray paint the pot with primer and let dry. Top coat with black spray paint. Let dry.
2. Spray paint the wood dowel black and let dry. (Hint: Insert dowel into a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam to hold it upright while you spray paint.)
3. Insert wood dowel into 4” ball. Remove the dowel, add glue to the hole, and reinsert the dowel. Let the glue set up.
4. Push the second foam ball down into terra cotta pot. If needed, trim ball with a serrated knife till it fits. Glue ball in place. Insert dowel into the foam ball, remove, add glue to hole, and reinsert the dowel. Let the glue set up.
5. Cut Deco Mesh into 7” lengths. You will need about 36 strips for the topiary, or 12 of each color. Cut the wire into 36, 3” lengths.
6. Roll a mesh strip to form a tube. Fold in half and pinch at the center, making a “V’ shape. Secure with a wire, twisting to hold the tube tight. Repeat for each Deco Mesh strip.
7. Insert the wire ends into the foam ball. Repeat, mixing colors as you go, till the ball is covered.
8. Form the end of a chenille stem into a loop small enough to fit on the back of a wiggle eye. Glue a wiggle eye onto the loop. Repeat for each wiggle eye.
9. Insert the chenille stems into the foam ball, adding the eyes at random.
10. Add a piece of tissue paper as an accent in the clay pot, securing in place with a low temperature glue gun.
Now, FloraCraft has offered to supply the two, 4” balls and three rolls of Deco Mesh needed to make your own Halloween Pouf, Deco Mesh Topiary. If you’d like to win, please tell me if you’ve used Deco Mesh. If you did, what did you make? If you’ve not yet gotten your hands on a roll of Deco Mesh, get creative and tell me what you’d like to make with it. I’ll announce the winner on Monday, September 30.
** Please note that this giveaway is closed.**
(Note: FloraCraft provided for free the Deco Mesh for today’s craft, and will also supply the 4″ balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam and three rolls of Deco Mesh for the giveaway.)