How pretty would this Ruffled Candy Corn look on your front door? After making yesterday’s Duct Tape Candy Corn Door Hanger, one idea lead to another and this Ruffled Candy Corn Door Décor was born. If you aren’t a fan of creepy Halloween decorations, this Ruffled Candy Corn Door Decor is a sweet alternative.
To make Ruffled Candy Corn Door Décor, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 18” x 1” sheet (if this size is not available, use a larger sheet and save the remaining foam for a later use)
- Fabric: 1/3 yd. each yellow and orange, and 1/8 yd. white
- Ribbon, 3/8” wide in candy corn print
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; pencil; newspaper; ruler; straight pins; wire knippers; optional: sewing machine
To make Ruffled Candy Corn Door Décor:
1. Using a pencil and a ruler, draw your candy corn pattern on the newspaper. My candy corn pattern measured 11-1/2” wide at the base, 3” wide at the top, and 17” tall. Cut out your pattern.
2. Pin the pattern to the sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Using a ruler and sharp pencil, draw around the pattern, scoring foam. Wax knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Use knife to score the lines again. Position foam sheet so that the score line is along the edge of a table. Press down, breaking foam cleanly along the scored line. Using knife, round the corners. Sand all sides and rough edges with a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
3. Cut the following 2-1/2” wide strips from fabrics:
- Yellow: 23” and 24”
- Orange: 15”, 18” and 21”
- White: 8” and 10”
4. By hand or by machine, stitch a basting stitch 1/4” from the edge along each fabric strip. If hand sewing, pull your thread to gather each strip. If machine sewing, gently pull the bobbin thread at the end of the strip (it’s easiest to gather a ruffle when pulling the bobbin thread where you ended stitching vs. the beginning). Carefully pull threads and ruffle each strip. Do not pull forcefully, as the thread may break.
3. Starting with the yellow, 24” ruffled strip, pin the ruffled strips to the foam candy corn. Pin the ends of each fabric strip to the back of the candy corn, and adjust the position of each ruffled layer till the candy corn is covered. Glue the ruffled layers in place.
4. Tie a 12” length of candy corn ribbon in a bow. Pin and glue in place. Trim ribbon ends, if needed.
5. Knot together ends of a 10” length of ribbon for a hanger. Pin and glue the knot to the back. Let glue dry before hanging.
Now you can have it your way — Candy Corn Door Hanger made with ruffles or duct tape. Which do you prefer?
We’re halfway through Candy Corn Crafts week, and I’ll have another quick and easy candy corn craft for you tomorrow.
Happy candy corn crafting.