Prepare for a candy corn overload! Today’s candy corn craft is candy corn x 3. Look closely and you’ll see that the Duct Tape Candy Corn Door Hanger is decorated with a banner made from candy corn duct tape, and trimmed with candy corn ribbon. What a sugar buzz! If you need a quick craft fix, then make this Duct Tape Candy Corn Door Hanger.
To make a Duct Tape Candy Corn Door Hanger, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 18” x 1” sheet (if this size is not available, use a larger sheet and save the remaining piece to use another time)
- Duct tape, one roll each yellow, orange, white and candy corn print (I used Duck Tape from Manco)
- Baker’s twine in black & white
- Ribbon, candy corn print, 3/8” wide
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; pencil; newspaper; ruler; straight pins; wire knippers
To make a Duct Tape Candy Corn Door Hanger:
1. Draw the candy corn pattern on newspaper. Mine measured 11-1/5” wide at the base, 3” wide at the top, and 17” tall. Cut out.
2. Pin pattern to foam sheet. Using ruler and sharp pencil, draw around pattern, scoring foam. Wax knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Use the knife to score straight lines on either side of candy corn. Position foam sheet so that the score line is along the edge of a table. Press down, breaking foam cleanly along the scored line. Using knife, round the corners. Sand all sides and rough edges with a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
3. Center a 15” strip of yellow duct tape along the bottom edge of the candy corn. Fold over tape onto the front and back, and smooth out along the edges. If needed, carefully trim away excess tape around the corners so that the tape will sit flat.
4. Cover the candy corn in strips of duct tape, wrapping the ends of each strip onto the back. Beginning at the bottom of the candy corn, add:
- Three yellow strips
- Five orange strips
- Three white strips. Carefully fold the last strip over the curved top, keeping it as smooth as possible. If needed, carefully trim away extra tape.
5. Tear off an 8” x 1” strip of white duct tape. Carefully adhere it to the point, covering the edge.
6. Fold in half a 20” length of candy corn duct tape, forming a 10” strip. Cut seven small pennants from the tape.
7. String baker’s twine across the candy corn, and pin and glue the ends to the back of the candy corn. Use small pieces of duct tape to attach pennants to the twine.
8. Glue candy corn ribbon along the bottom of the candy corn.
9. Wrap an 18” length of wire around a wood dowel, wooden spoon handle, or other round object. Bend each end and insert the ends into the sides of the candy corn.
I love the idea of decorating my candy corn with a candy corn banner. I tried a few other ideas first, and then remembered that I had a roll of candy corn duct tape left over from a project I made last year – Duct Tape Topiaries. The duct tape was the perfect answer.
I also used the tape last year in the Halloween version of my Duct Tape Deco Spheres.
I have more candy corn fun on tap for tomorrow. See you then!
Happy candy corn crafting.