This Snowman & Snowballs Wreath is just darling! And no matter what the season or where you live, the little snowmen will never melt. It’s nice that this wreath spans the seasons, too, adding a whimsical touch to sometimes dreary, post-holiday months. If you love these little Snowmen as much as I do, make a few extra to give as ornaments. Enjoy!
To make a Snowman & Snowballs Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls: eight 1”; seven 1-1/2”; and six 2”
- Block or other scrap piece
- Purchased pine wreath, 18”
- Glitter, white iridescent
- Mod Podge, gloss finish
- Wooden skewers, six
- Half-round black beads, one dozen, 5mm
- Lollipop sticks, one dozen, 2” long
- Felt, blue scraps
- Fabric scraps in assorted blue prints, approx. ¾” x 8”
- Acrylic craft paint in orange
- Pink chalk or blush
- Textured stone paint, white
- Floral picks with white beads, eight
- Wired ribbon, one spool of 1” white iridescent
- Wire, 6”
- Low-temperature glue gun
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; stiff bristle paintbrush; toothpicks; serrated knife and old candle or bar of soap
To make a Snowman & Snowballs Wreath:
1. Cut three, 1-1/2” and six 2” balls in half. Hint: wax the knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap for easier cutting.
2. Assemble the snowmen, using the 2” half balls for the bottom and middle balls, and the 1-1/2” half ball for the head. Gently rub the balls together for a snug fit. Glue together with low-temp glue.
3. Brush Mod Podge onto snowmen and sprinkle with glitter. Let dry.
4. Insert toothpicks into remaining balls, and following Step 3, cover the balls with glitter. Let dry.
5. Add details to the snowmen:
- Nose: Cut 1” pointed tips from skewers and paint orange. When dry, insert into faces.
- Eyes: Glue two black beads above the nose.
- Cheeks: Apply blush or chalk.
- Arms: Insert lollipop sticks into sides; add glue to secure. If you like, angle each snowman’s arms differently for more personality.
- Mittens: Cut from felt and glue to ends of arms.
- Scarves: Carefully tie a ¾” x 8” strip of fabric around each neck; fringe the ends.
6. Assemble the wreath:
- Lightly spray wreath with stone paint to look like snow. Let dry.
- Arrange snowmen on the wreath, and glue to wreath with low-temp glue.
- Arrange and glue glittered balls onto wreath.
- Glue floral picks to wreath.
- Swag the ribbon across the bottom, and tie a bow in each end.
- Glue ribbon bow to top of wreath.
- Twist wire to top back of wreath for a hanger.
To make a Snowman Ornament:
1. Build your Snowman following Step 2 above, but do not cut your balls in half. The Snowman Ornament uses whole balls. Then, follow Step 3 and Step 5 above. Make a hanger from 1/8” wide ribbon, and pin and glue to the snowman’s head.
It’s hard to believe that the snow will be flying soon, isn’t it?
Thanks for stopping in today.