Today, Jennifer & Kitty O’Neil, the creative duo who blog at Running With Sisters, are sharing this cute Jellyfish Family kids’ craft. If you made a trip to the beach this summer, this jellyfish craft will be especially fun. Crafting with boys? You can easily change the colors of your Jellyfish Family to make it a pink-free craft for boys. Jennifer & Kitty have a giveaway for you, too, so read on! (This giveaway is closed.)
To make the Jellyfish Family, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 5” and 4” balls
- Acrylic craft paint in hot pink
- Cellophane wrap in magenta
- Iridescent curling ribbon in purple and white
- Rubber bands, three small
- Googly eyes, six 25mm
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife or plastic knife*; wood skewer or chopstick; foam paintbrush; double-stick tape; clear tape; ruler
*Note: Children should never use a serrated knife. Have children use the plastic knife under close supervision of an adult.
To make the Jellyfish Family:
1. Cut in half the balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. (Please have an adult closely supervise this step, and have children use the plastic knife for cutting.) Save one 4” half ball for a future project.
2. Insert a wood skewer or chopstick into the flat side of each half ball to use as a handle. Paint the half balls hot pink and let dry.
3. Cut six, 18” lengths each of purple and white curling ribbon. Gather together and wrap a rubber band around one end. Repeat, making two more jellyfish tails. Trim the ribbons for the baby’s tail so it’s shorter.
4. Remove the handle from each ball, fill the holes with glue, and poke the rubber band end of each tail into the holes. If needed, use the handle to enlarge the hole first. Let glue dry.
5. Wrap each half-ball in an 18″ x 18″ cellophane square. Gather the cellophane around the ribbon tail, and secure with a piece of curling ribbon. Trim the cellophane so it’s about 4” long at the bottom of the ball.
6. Attach the googly eyes with double-stick tape.
7. Make mama’s hair bow. Curl with scissors two, 12” lengths of purple ribbon and two, 12” lengths of white ribbon. Pinch the ribbons in the center and tape to the mama’s head.
8. Knot the ends of a 14” length of purple ribbon. Poke a hole in the top of each jellyfish, carefully cutting through the cellophane with tip of the scissors. Fill the hole with glue, and poke the knot into the hole. Let dry.
If you’re looking for even more summertime fun, Jennifer and Kitty are giving away a downloadable pdf of their newest book, Big Blast of Kid Crafts, to three Crafts ‘n Coffee readers. I had a sneak peek, and it’s a fun – and big book. As in 55 pages and 20 projects big! As a crafty kid many years ago, I know I would have loved this book.
I’m going to add in a little something for each of the three winners, too. You’ll get your choice of one of our craft kits and one of our craft aprons. Woot!
Here’s how you can win. Tell me about your favorite summertime vacation. Was it this year? Or is it still coming up later this month? Or, maybe it was a favorite summer vacation from years ago. Please share by next Thursday, August 8, and I’ll announce the winner on Friday, August 9.
**Please Note: This Giveaway is Closed.**
In the meantime, our Summer Soirée continues next week and I’ll have a full week of summertime, beach theme craft ideas.
Happy summer crafting!