Sometimes, when I just want to make something and I don’t have a lot of time (yeah, like almost all the time), I whip out the duct tape and make something quick. Well, when I saw this roll of Wallflower Duck Tape® a few weeks ago, I was smitten. I knew immediately that it was perfect for a summer wreath. (Last summer, I made a Tie-Dye Duct Tape Wreath, so maybe this is a new tradition.) In about an hour, I had a new, Duct Tape Flower Wreath and I just love it! It’s so summer bright.
To make a Duct Tape Flower Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” wreath
- Duck Tape, one roll in the Wallflowers pattern
- Duck Tape® Sheets, one each yellow, neon green, green, red, pink and blue
- Low-temp glue gun, or thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Straight pins; optional: Flower die and die-cutting machine, OR just cut out your flowers with scissors (I used my Sizzix Sidekick)
To make a Duct Tape Flower Wreath:
1. Tear a 36” length of duct tape from the roll. Starting at one end of the strip, tear off a narrow strip, about ½” wide, lengthwise. (This is a two-in-one project, because you can use those ½” strips to make Duct Tape Deco Spheres.)
2. Pin the wider duct tape strip to the back of the wreath and wrap the strip round & round the wreath, slightly overlapping with each pass. Pin the other end of the strip to the back of the wreath, and trim any extra tape. Repeat, wrapping the wreath with strips of duct tape till it’s covered.
3. Using your die-cutting equipment, cut out 15 – 17 flowers from the duct tape sheets. Or, you can easily cut them out using scissors. Arrange the flowers on the wreath, and then glue in place. Add in a few green leaves. (You could also remove the backing from the flowers and attach them like stickers. That was my original plan, and then I decided I liked them with more dimension.)
4. To hang your wreath, fold in half a 12” x 1” length of duct tape and pin and glue the tape loop to the back of the wreath. Or, use a 12” length of ribbon as your hanger.
Here’s another wreath I want to share, and it’s a “best of summer” wreath — it’s bright, fun and so easy. When I saw this Flip Flop Summer Wreath on The Hankful House, I knew I had to share it today. Go on over and say “hello” to Mandy and giver her wreath a try, too.
In the meantime, I wonder when the duct tape craft bug will strike again. I just saw that there’s a new denim print Duck Tape. I love denim, now what could I make with denim duct tape . . . ? Do you have a favorite pattern of duct tape? Bacon? (Yes indeed, there is a bacon duct tape.) Hello Kitty? Skulls? Mustaches? Butterflies? Or??