Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, today wraps up Christmas in July. I had a lot of fun selecting the projects to share these last two weeks, and these Zipper & Fabric Christmas Ornaments are one of my favorites. They are very similar to last week’s Felt & Ribbon Ornaments, until you trim them with zippers and zipper flowers. Very special! Kathleen shows you how to make a zipper flower, and I share a few sources for zippers.
To make a Zipper & Fabric Christmas Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 3” ball
- Fabric scraps, red and green in assorted prints
- Zippers: Two 27” in different colors; and one 25” – 36” for flower
- Cord, 9”
- Thick white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; knippers; straight pin
To make a Zipper & Fabric Christmas Ornament:
1. Using pattern, cut out six fabric pieces.
2. Glue fabric pieces onto the foam ball. If there’s a gap between the pieces, that’s o.k. The zippers will cover it.
3. Separate the zippers into two halves. If they don’t come apart at the bottom, use the knippers to remove the closed end and zipper pull.
4. Cut the 27” zippers into eleven, 4-1/2” strips and one, 10″ strip. Trim ends at an angle so the zippers fit together neatly. Glue six, 4-1/2″ zipper lengths of the same color to the ball, covering up the seams between the fabric pieces. As you wrap the strips around the ball, clip them as needed so that the zipper pieces butt up evenly and lay flat.
5. Repeat Step 4, layering on a second zipper strip in a contrasting color. Save the 10″ strip for last, and starting at the top, wrap it around the ball, covering the zipper ends at the bottom of the ball.
6. Make a zipper flower from one side of the 25” – 36” zipper:
- Hold the zipper strip face down in your left hand, with the zipper teeth facing right.
- With your right hand, make a loop with the zipper strip, keeping the front facing down.
- Glue the petal in place in the middle of your flowers.
- Make four or more petals, gluing each one in the center before going on to the next.
- Make sure you have a little strip of zipper left for the center.
- Roll the remaining zipper into a tight coil, gluing as you roll, and glue to the center of the flower.
7. Knot together the ends of the 9” cord and pin and glue to the top of the ornament. Glue the zipper flower over the cord at the top of the ball.
If you’d like another idea for your old zippers (and an old sweater), I shared this Zipper Flower Wreath last year. Again, it’s one of my favorites.
This is the first year I’ve had a Christmas in July series, and I’d love your feedback. Was it too long or not long enough? Would you like to see more, or no, thank you. Are you looking for specific Christmas craft ideas? Please let me know. Thanks!
Happy Christmas crafting.