How hot is it where you are? Triple digits? Or just the 90s or 80s? Let’s crank up the chill with a little Christmas crafting, like these Felt & Ribbon Ornaments. The bright, red and green color scheme on these Felt & Ribbon Ornaments will have you singing “Deck the Halls” in no time. If the kids are “so bored”, they’ll have fun making these ornaments, too. How great will it be in December knowing that you’re ahead of the game with these handmade beauties?
To make a Felt & Ribbon Ornament, you will need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 3” & 4” balls
- Felt in red, green, bright green, white (or other colors of your choice)
- Ribbons and trims, braid, cording, lace, etc.
- Sequins, beads, etc.
- Pearl head pins
- Craft pins
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Sharp pencil; rotary cutter with wavy blade (optional)
To make a Felt & Ribbon Ornament:
1. Mark the center top and bottom of a ball with a pencil.
2. Using the patterns, cut eight pieces of felt for each ball. You’ll note that the 3” balls are covered in eight, long “slices” of fabric, and the 4” balls use eight fabric “wedges.” Mix and match your colors however you like.
3. Glue the fabric sections onto the foam ball, aligning each piece with the top and bottom marks. Don’t worry about any gaps between the pieces – you’ll cover those with the ribbons and trims.
4. Now for the fun part – decorating! First, glue ribbons or other trims around each ball, covering up the seams between the felt pieces. You’ll need a 9” length of ribbon for a 3” ball, and a 12-1/2” length for a 4” ball. Next, dress ‘em up by layering on ribbons, and adding lace, cording, sequins, beads, pearl head pins, etc.
5. Tie ribbon into a loop for the hanger, and pin and glue to the center top. Add a bow or other decoration to the top.
Fa, la, la, la, la . . . Are you feeling cooler yet? I’ll keep the chill cranked up this week (and maybe next week) with more Christmas crafts.
Till Thursday, happy Christmas crafting!