Doesn’t this Ice Cream Cone Door Décor sing out “hello summer”? It’s a really cute alternative to a summer wreath, don’t you think? You make the ice cream by punching fabric squares into the foam. It’s one of those easy techniques that’s perfect for a night of TV. You could change up the fabric and make it mint chocolate chip, orange sherbet, or maybe go a little crazy with Superman ice cream. Here’s the scoop:
To make an Ice Cream Cone Door Décor, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 18” sheet
- Cardstock, 12” x 12” in tan
- Fabric, 1 yd. pink cotton
- Ribbon: One spool light tan; 4” pink polka dot
- Craft pins
- Yes! Paste or other paper paste
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; sharp pencil; ruler; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; small putty knife; wooden skewer
To make an Ice Cream Cone Door Décor:
1. Draw the ice cream cone shape on the foam sheet. You’ll start in one corner and using the ruler and a sharp pencil, draw a triangle on a slight angle. The triangle should have 12” sides and an 8” top. Top off the triangle with a large oval that’s 8” tall and 10” wide.
2. Wax your knife blade with a bar of soap or an old candle. Cut out the ice cream cone.
3. Spread a thin layer of Yes! Paste or other paper paste over the cone, including the edges. Center tan cardstock over the cone and smooth down. Fold cardstock over the edges and trim off excess paper. Pin paper in place with craft pins till paste dries. Trim the top edge of the cone following the curved ice cream line.
4. Use tiny dots of Yes! Paste and craft pins to attach the vertical lines of ribbon. Add horizontal ribbons, weaving over and under the vertical ribbon. Continue the ribbon over the edges and pin and glue to the back.
4. Cut pink fabric cotton into 2-½” squares.
5. Squeeze a dot of glue on the ice scream scoop. Center a fabric square over a dot of glue and push the center of the fabric square into the foam using the blunt end of the wooden skewer. Repeat, till the ice scream scoop is covered.
6. Glue and pin a loop of pink ribbon to the top for a hanger. Let glue dry before hanging.
Here’s another version for you, the Super-Scoop Ice Cream Cone made with a scoop of pink carnations.
What flavor would you make your Ice Cream Cone Door Décor?
P.S. June 27 is Sunglasses Day, and though it’s a rainy one here, my little pup is celebrating. Is it sunny where you are today?