Don’t these deco spheres look like they’re right out of a high-end home décor catalog? Well, don’t tell anyone that but the animal print tissue paper came from a dollar store! Yep, a dollar store. With a little Mod Podge and 4” balls of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam, you can make these Safari Deco Spheres in just an hour or two. I have a second tutorial for a fabric version, too, so read on.
To make Safari Deco Spheres, you will need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” balls
- Tissue paper, animal print
- Mod Podge, matte finish
- Tools needed: Scissors; sharp pencil; soft brush; chopsticks or wooden skewers
To make Safari Deco Spheres:
1. Insert a chopstick or skewer into the bottom of a 4” foam ball; this will serve as your handle. Mark the center top of the ball with a sharp pencil.
2. Using the pattern, cut out six pieces of tissue paper for each ball. Make small cuts around the edges of each piece to help the tissue lay flat on the ball.
3. Spread a generous layer of Mod Podge onto one section of the ball. Carefully place a tissue paper section over the Mod Podge, positioning it from the pencil dot at the top of the ball to the handle at the bottom. Gently smooth out the tissue paper with your fingers.
4. Repeat, adding each section in the same way and overlapping each section slightly. Let dry.
5. Brush on a coat of Mod Podge and let dry. Repeat, adding another coat or two of Mod Podge.
6. When completely dry, carefully twist and remove your handle. Cover the hole with a ¼” square of tissue paper.
I wish everyone a peaceful weekend, with time to enjoy family, friends and Easter festivities. And, may the bunny hop by your house, leaving a few chocolate goodies . . .
Happy Easter and happy crafting.