You may already know that I’m partial to tie-dye (remember my Tie-Dye Ribbon Wreath, Tie Dye Duct Tape Wreath and Tie-Dye Bulletin Board?). Given my history with tie-dye, it may be no surprise that one of my favorite creative ideas for decorating Easter eggs are these Tie-Dye Easter Eggs by Kathleen George. Love these! And it all began with a tie-dye t-shirt from the Goodwill. So dig through your drawers or make a quick trip to a thrift store and see how you can repurpose a T-shirt to make these Tie-Dye Easter Eggs. Fun!
To make a Tie-Dye Easter Egg, you will need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” egg
- T-shirt to repurpose
- Coordinating trims: rick rack, ribbon, cord, etc.
- Small gold craft pins
- Felt and/or button flowers and pearl head pins (optional)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; measuring tape; rubber bands; sharp pencil; table knife with thin blade
To make a Tie-Dye Easter Egg:
1. Mark the top and bottom of the egg with the pencil, and using these points, center a rubber band around the egg from top to bottom. Using a sharp pencil, score a line around the egg, using the rubber band as your guide.
2. Move the rubber band and repeat, dividing the egg into four equal quarters.
3. Carefully score the lines again, to be sure you can clearly see the grooves.
4. Using the pattern, cut out fabrics for each section. Attach fabric to the egg:
- Center a fabric piece over the corresponding scored section on the egg.
- Position the knife blade on the fabric directly over a scored line.
- Keeping the knife as straight as possible, gently push the fabric seam allowance straight into the surface of the ball.
- Use the tip of the knife to smooth out the fabric.
- Repeat till all sides are tucked into the egg.
- Add the other fabric pieces in the same manner.
- When egg is covered, use small scissors to carefully trim away any excess fabric and threads.
6. Cut a length of ribbon, ric rac or other trim to fit along the seam line. Glue and pin the trim along the seam. Pin flowers onto egg (optional).
The Easter Eggstravaganza continues through March 10, so don’t miss a day. And, every time you leave a comment each day, you’re entered in our Easter Eggstravaganza giveaway:
- One dozen eggs of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
- The winter issue of Stitch Craft Create (this issue includes the French Post Eggs from earlier this week)
- TWO (yes, two!) chocolate bunnies – milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
Happy Easter egg crafting!