I have another springtime paper craft today, and it’s one the kids might like, too. Paper is pretty, it’s cheap and it’s easy to craft with, so it’s just about perfect. Patty Schaffer used a pastel spring green and aqua palette to make her Butterfly Topiary and Butterfly Easter Egg. If you’d prefer different colors, no problem, just change the paper. Here’s how Patty made her pretty, springtime Butterfly Topiary and Easter Egg.
To make a Butterfly Topiary and Butterfly Egg, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” x 4” cone; 3-3/16” x 2-7/8” egg
- Scrapbook paper, three – four 12” x 12” sheets in coordinating colors
- Paint chips in coordinating colors
- Pearl head pins, 1-1/2”, 300
- Tools needed: Small butterfly punch
- Note: If you’d like to display your topiary on a pedestal, you’ll also need a candleholder, 2-1/2” coarse thread drywall screw, and E-6000 Adhesive
To make a Butterfly Topiary:
1. Punch out butterflies from scrapbook papers and paint chips.
2. Place a scrapbook paper butterfly on top of a paint chip butterfly, and insert a pearl head pin through both layers. Slightly pinch together the wings on the top butterfly to add a little dimension.
3. Pin the butterfly around the base of the cone.
4. Make more butterflies, following Step 2, mixing and matching the colors as you go. Continue pinning butterflies around the cone, working from the bottom up. If there are gaps between the butterflies, try swiveling the butterflies to cover the spaces.
5. Optional: To attach the topiary to a pedestal, glue a drywall screw onto the top of the pedestal using E-6000 adhesive. When glue is dry, center the cone over the screw and gently slide it onto the screw.
To Make a Butterfly Egg:
1. Make butterflies, following Steps 1 – 2 above. Then, pin your butterflies onto the egg till the egg is covered. If you have any gaps, swivel your butterflies to fill in the space.
While I’m on the subject of eggs, do you remember last year’s Easter Eggstravanganza? I’m planning another Eggstravaganza this year, starting March 3. I hope you’ll make plans to follow along.
With a big “thank you” to the O’Neil Sisters, I have three winners to announce today. Congratulations Donna O’Neil! You’ve won the e-book Spa Crafts and the book Steampunk Chic (what a coincidence that you share the same last name!). Cynthia P. and Birgitte also win copies of the book Spa Crafts. Please contact me, ladies, so I can arrange for your prizes.
Is anyone crafting this weekend? Care to share your crafty plans?