Today is Mutt’s Day, and I’m celebrating with a tutorial to make a Perfect Pet Photo Cube. I’ve had four dogs in my life, and they’ve all been mutts. It was love-at-first sight for my daughter and our current dog JoJo, a tan & scruffy, 15-pound mutt. When we visited the animal shelter, JoJo’s soulful eyes captured my daughter’s heart.
Before I share today’s tutorial, I’d like share a a quick story about JoJo and the mystery of mutts. When we adopted JoJo, the shelter listed him as a “pug/terrier” mix. O.K., I could kind of see that. When my daughter studied DNA and heredity in science class last year, I decided to have his DNA tested. The results? The only DNA they could identify classified him as a Chihuahua/Maltese mix. Huh? He’s the biggest Chihuahua/Maltese I’ve ever seen! We’ve been laughing ever since about our little “chese dog.”
To celebrate your favorite friend, whether it’s four-legged, feathered or finned, make our Perfect Pet Photo Cube.
To make a Perfect Pet Photo Cube, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 5″ cube
- Scrapbook papers, assorted
- Stickers & other embellishments
- Thick white craft glue OR Yes! Paste
- Tools needed: Ruler; scissors; pencil; 1″ putty knife or similar tool; paper punches (optional)
To make a Perfect Pet Photo Cube:
1. Cut two strips of scrapbook paper measuring 5″ x 11″. Test-fold the paper around the cube to fit.
2. Remove the paper and refold the corner edges again for a crisp edge.
3. Spread a thin layer of glue onto the sides of the cube using a small putty knife. Place paper on the cube and smooth it with your fingertips. Spread a bit of glue on to the two edges that overlap.
4. Cover the top of the cube with a 5″ x 5″ square of scrapbook paper. Trim excess paper along the edges.
5. Cut out photos of your favorite pet. Cut photo mats from scrapbook papers and adhere photos to the mats. Glue matted photos and other decorative embellishments to the paper-covered cube. Refer to project photo for inspiration.
6. Write titles and journaling longhand or on the computer. Cut out and glue to cube.
Do you have any stories about your favorite pet? Please share!
P.S. It’s also Harry Potter’s birthday today – another big day in my muggle household. How about yours?