These Shades of Fall Yarn Topiaries are like the favorite sweater you reach for when there’s a nip in the air. They’re warm and cozy, with lots of texture and beautiful fall colors. It’s easy enough to wind the yarn ‘round & round — the texture of STYROFOAM Brand Foam grips the yarn to help keep it in place. Once you’re done wrapping your cones, keep going with your leftover yarn and make our Shades of Fall Yarn Wreath. The complete ensemble will really warm up a room!
We have more news today, too, as we begin to gear up for the busiest crafting season of the year – Christmas! So, be sure to read to the end for another cozy craft idea, and how you might win an inspiring prize package.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 12” cone (or other size of your choice)
- Yarn, 4 – 5 styles and textures in coordinating colors
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Terra cotta pot; felt; buttons
- Tools needed: Straight pins; scissors
To make the Shades of Fall Yarn Topiary:
1. Pin and glue one end of yarn to the bottom edge of the cone.
2. Wind the yarn around the cone, making sure there is no space between the rows. Secure with small dabs of glue as you go; if needed, add a pin while glue dries.
3. Continue to wrap the cone, alternating yarn and sizes of stripes till cone is covered. Wind yarn around the top of cone, too.
1. Display on a terra cotta pot.
2. Add felt & button embellishments:
- Cut felt circles from 3 – 4 colors of felt: cut seven or more 1 ¾” circles; 11 or more 1 ¼” circles; and 12 or more 1” circles.
- Glue together two circles of different sizes; glue button in the center. Repeat till you’ve made 15 pairs of circles. Let dry.
- Pin and glue felt circles onto yarn cone.
Here’s another fall decorating idea for you — this Felt Pinecone Wreath would be pretty all fall & winter long. Kathleen George shares her techniques for making this wreath in the December 2011 issue of Create & Decorate magazine. If you like cozy crafts like this one, you’ll want to pick up this issue. Or, tell us where you go for your holiday crafting inspiration and you can win the December 2011 issue of Create & Decorate!
Do you have a favorite go-to magazine, blog, web site or other source for your creative ideas? I’d love to know! Tell me where you go for your craft ideas and win our prize package:
- The December 2011 issue of Create & Decorate
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam to make the Felt Pinecone Wreath (wreath ring and two eggs)
- Craft apron with adjustable strap and two roomy pockets
You have through this weekend, Sunday, November 6, to answer our question. I’ll announce the winner next Tuesday, November 8.
Thank you for sharing.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED. THANK YOU.**
P.S. Speaking of inspiration, do you subscribe to our Craft Club newsletter? Our newsletter readers are the first to see some of our best new project ideas. We’re preparing our holiday issue right now, and I hope you’ll sign up so you don’t miss out!