What’s displayed on your mantel this fall? If you’re still planning your Halloween décor, here’s an idea – paint a sparkling, polka-dot Halloween Topiary with Krylon Glitter Blast. Remember the Glittery Jack-‘o-Lantern from last week? I used what was left in my sample cans of Glitter Blast to make this week’s Sparkling Halloween Topiary. It was super easy to make, and now I wish I had made several of varying heights, and one painted in reverse, making it orange with black polka dots. There are so many ways you can change up this topiary for Christmas, Easter, or even a wedding.
To make a Sparkling Halloween Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 12” cone (or other sizes of your choice); 2” ball; scrap of foam
- Krylon Gitter Blast: Starry Night, Orange Burst
- Circle stickers, 2”, OR contact paper
- Crepe paper roll, black
- Ribbon, 3/8”
- Low temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Tools: Toothpick; scissors; rubber gloves; sewing machine OR needle & thread
To make a Sparkling Halloween Topiary:
1. Before you start, carefully read label on the can of Glitter Blast. Cover work area with newspapers. Spray cone with Orange Burst Glitter Blast. Let dry. (Glitter Blast darkens as it dries, so be careful to not overspray. If you overspray, the finish can run.)
2. Insert toothpick into 2” ball. Spray with Orange Burst Glitter Blast. Insert toothpick into scrap of foam and let dry.
3. Make your polka-dot masks. If using contact paper, cut out 2” circles. Remove backing from circle stickers or contact paper circles and arrange randomly on painted cone. Pay special attention to the edges, pressing them down firmly so the paint doesn’t bleed under the masks.
4. Spray entire cone with Starry Night Glitter Blast. Let dry. Carefully remove stickers.
5. Set sewing machine on longest basting stitch. Stich down center of crepe paper; crepe paper will ruffle as you stitch. Glue ruffled strip around top and bottom of cone. Or, using a needle & thread, hand stitch down center of crepe paper strip, gently pulling to create a ruffle as you go.
6. Glue ribbon around middle of crepe paper ruffle.
7. Glue orange glittered ball to top of cone.
Do you change out your mantel decorations each season? If you do, what’s on your mantel right now? Do tell.