Jeans – they’re like the gift that keeps on giving. You wear them forever, after all, they finally have that perfect feel and fit, but there comes a time when you have to move on. But, don’t throw out your old favorites – there’s still a lot of life left in that beloved denim fabric. Here are two ways to repurpose old jeans – make a Denim Bulletin Board and Denim Pencil Cube.
Who couldn’t use this cute denim duo in the kitchen, home office, laundry room or wherever command central is in your home. Your kids will want a set, too, and they’ll love adding the embellishments. I’d love to give away the Denim Bulletin Board you see here. Leave a comment below by next Friday, September 2, and tell me how you’ve repurposed your favorite jeans. (And in other giveaway news – today is the last day to win our “Back to School” Wreath, and you have till next Tuesday to win the Cupcake Bulletin Board and Cupcake Pencil Holder – check it out!)
NOTE: sorry guys — WordPress is letting me down and I can’t insert links to the posts. Please use that handy arrow button up in the left-hand corner to find this week’s earlier posts announcing the giveaways.
To make the Denim Bulletin Board you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 36” sheet
- Old jeans
- Quilt batting, ½ yd.
- Grosgrain ribbon, 3/8”, 2-1/2 yds.
- Embellishments of your choice: Buttons, brads, pins, charms, ribbons, etc.
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Tools: Scissors; ruler; sharp pencil; serrated knife and bar of soap OR dental floss; straight pins
To make the Denim Bulletin Board:
1. Measure and mark a 12” x 24” rectangle on foam sheet, scoring cutting line with sharp pencil. Wax serrated knife with soap and cut along the scored lines. Or, use dental floss: stand the sheet on its edge, and hold a 24″ length of dental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand at the bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw the dental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.
2. Cut a 14” x 26” piece of batting (cut two layers if your batting is thin). Place foam sheet in center of batting, and wrap batting to sides; glue in place. Trim excess batting.
3. Cut off one leg from jeans and carefully cut open along the inner seam; fabric should lay flat when open. If your jeans have a curve and fabric puckers and does not lay flat, cut the leg into two sections, closely following the inner seam. Trim away excess fabric along cut edge of the seam. Glue the two leg sections back together, layering the seam on top.
4. Place denim fabric face down on table. Center foam sheet, batting face down, on denim. Starting on one long edge, fold denim fabric around board and onto the back side. Evenly pin fabric in place. Repeat with other long edge.
5. Flip board over to be sure fabric is straight; adjust if needed. Glue in place.
6. Repeat with two short sides, folding and pinning corners so they are neat and straight. Glue fabric to back of bulletin board. Trim away excess fabric.
7. Cut four, 22” lengths of ribbon. Referring to photo, arrange ribbons in a criss-cross, diamond pattern on front of board. Pin and glue ribbon ends to back; pin and glue ribbons where they cross in front.
8. Cut 6” length of ribbon; pin and glue to back of bulletin board for hanging.
9. Cut pockets from jeans; trim excess fabric from edges. Glue pockets to the front of the memo board.
10. Add embellishments of your choice.
To make the Denim Pencil Cube you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 5” cube
- Old jeans
- Grommets, ¾” (we used eight)
- Thick white craft glue or Yes! Paste
- Embellishments of your choice: Patches, buttons, charms, appliques, etc.
- Tools: Scissors; craft pins; 1” putty knife; craft knife with new blade
To make the Denim Pencil Cube:
1. Cut four, 5” squares from jeans. Cut one, 5-1/2” square. As you cut your squares, choose areas with added interest, like pockets.
2. Glue 5-1/2” denim square to top of 5” cube, folding excess fabric over the edges and onto the sides. To glue, use putty knife to spread thin layer of white craft glue or Yes! Paste on top of foam cube and along top edges of each side. Center the denim square on top, smooth firmly with fingertips, and fold fabric over edges and onto sides. If needed, pin fabric in place along top edges; trim corners.
3. Working on one side at a time, spread glue or Yes! Paste onto side and cover with denim square; be sure to cover fabric along top edge, too. If needed, pin in place till glue holds.
4. To make holes for pencils, use craft knife to carefully cut a small X in the denim on top of cube. Push sharp pencil through denim and into the STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Rotate pencil gently but firmly till hole is large enough for pencil to easily slide in and out. Glue grommet over the hole with white craft glue. Repeat till you’ve added all the holes you like.
5. Embellish! Decorate with patches, appliques, charms, etc.
And there you have it – two stylish organizers from one old pair of jeans.
Don’t forget to check out our three giveaways:
- Win this Denim Bulletin Board by telling us how you’ve repurposed old jeans.
- Win a “Back to School” Wreath.
- Win a Cupcake Bulletin Board and Cupcake Pencil Holder.
(Remember to use the arrow key in the upper, left-hand corner to find the giveaways from earlier this week.)
Debra – Congratulations! You’ve won our Denim Bulletin Board and Pencil Cube! Please use the “Contact Us” tab above to contact me.