Seems it’s hot, hot, hot everywhere, and today’s craft idea will help you keep your cool. But first, I digress to my travels earlier this week to the CHA (Craft & Hobby Association) trade show in Chicago (this digression will tie in to our craft project, trust me).
At the CHA Show, craft companies show off what’s new, and in a few months, you might see some of the new products on the shelves at your local craft store. It’s also a time to catch up with many friends and acquaintances you see only at the shows. One of the industry “rock stars” I always enjoy saying “hello” to is Kathy Cano-Murillo, aka, the Crafty Chica. Kathy possesses an amazing array of talents, an endless supply of energy, and she is one of the most genuine and nicest people you will ever meet.
Here’s a short list of Kathy’s accomplishments (and I’m sure I’ll forget a few):
- Professional artist and advocate for Latina art
- Syndicated craft columnist for the Arizona Republic for eight years
- Developer of www.CraftyChica.com
- Creator of the award winning Crafty Chica line of craft products
- Design team member at i love to create
- Syndicated DIY columnist at BlogHer
- Author of NINE books, including two novels, Waking Up in the Land of Glitter and Miss Scarlet’s School of Patternless Sewing.
- Wife and mom of two
Wow! How does she do it? I asked Kathy that question and here’s her secret – she doesn’t sleep a lot. Kathy works till 2 in the morning, and is up again at 8 a.m. Really, there’s no secret – Kathy’s success is all about hard work, talent, and a tireless dedication to her creative vision.
Back when Kathy was a columnist at the Arizona Republic, she featured this fun pool floatie made from STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
STYROFOAM Brand Foam is extremely buoyant, so it’s perfect for a poolside floatie:
- Float your drink in the pool to keep it handy
- Add a floral pick and make a floating centerpiece
- Create some evening drama poolside and float a few candle votives (use battery operated votives, or place tea lights in glass votives first)
- Place it on your patio table and use it as a centerpiece
Kathy made her floatie with foam stars, but you can also use 1” foam discs. Change out the colors to match your event and decorating scheme, or use the glistening white foam “as is” for an elegant evening bash.
And now, our project instructions (yes, we took a little detour to get here, but like many detours, it made the trip a whole lot more fun. Be sure to check out Kathy’s web site, leave her a comment and tell her we sent you).
Here’s what you need to make the Patriotic Pool Floatie:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: three, 6” wreath rings; one each 12” and 15” stars (or, substitute 1” discs for the stars)
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Crafty Chica Paints: Blue, white, red
- Star garland
- Foam stickers
- Optional: floral pick; glass votives and tea lights; battery-operated tea lights
- Tools: Paintbrush
To make the Patriotic Pool Floatie:
1. Glue together three foam rings; let dry. Apply a generous amount of red craft paint to the outside surface of the ring holder. Let dry.
2. Apply a generous amount of blue craft paint to the larger star, leaving center bare. Apply a generous amount of white craft paint to the smaller star, leaving center bare. Let dry.
3. Center and glue the white star on top of the blue star.
4. Center and glue the red ring holder on top of the white star. Let dry.
5. Embellish the floater with star garland and foam stickers.
6. Add a floral pick or votive, or simply float in the pool with a can of soda.
How are you beating the heat? Tell us your secrets for keeping cool!