It was harder to write an alliterative headline than it was to make these Star Spangled Squares (and, I think the squares turned out much better than the headline!). My inspiration was the Gerbera Daisy Cube design by Diane Flowers. I changed them up with a red, white & blue theme, and added small flags instead of gerbera daisies. These would be so cute on a mantel, a picnic table, or as 4th of July party favors.
Get ready, get set, go! You’ll be done in no time. A sheet of paper, a bottle of glue, and you’re ready to go!
Here’s what you need to make a Star Spangled Square:
(materials listed are for one square)
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 3” cube
- Scrapbook paper, 12” x 12”
- Embellishments: ribbons, buttons, stickers, etc.
- Paper shred
- Small American flag
- Tools: ruler; pencil; scissors; bone folder (optional); star punches; low temperature glue gun & glue sticks OR thick, white craft glue
Here’s how to make a Star Spangled Square:
1. Measure and cut a 3” x 12” strip of scrapbook paper. Mark strip in 3” increments and fold on lines; use bone folder for neater creases (optional).
2. Fit paper around cube and glue in place.
3. Measure and cut a 3” square from scrapbook paper. Glue to top of cube.
4. Decorate cubes with ribbons, paper strips, punched stars, buttons, stickers, and other embellishments.
5. Using tip of scissors, make a small hole in top; insert flag. Arrange and glue shred to top of cube.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend with family and friends. Till next week,