Maybe because it’s supposed to be in the 90s this week, or maybe because it’s so darn easy to make, that I love this cool, green DIY Mossy Wall Art. When I stand back and look at the Mossy Wall Art, I just feel cooler and calmer, like I’m standing in the shaded woods, with a small stream running nearby. Ahhh . . .
Making this Mossy Wall Art is a no-sweat project, perfect for a hot and lazy summer day. The moss I used comes in 14” square sheets and is the same moss used by model railroaders to create grassy landscapes. I’ve seen it in the miniatures aisle in craft stores, and I purchased mine online at Save-a-Lot Crafts.
You don’t even need to bang holes in your wall to hang the Mossy Wall Art (unless you prefer to put holes in your wall). The squares are so lightweight that you can use poster putty, which also makes them easy to reposition and change out.
To make the Mossy Wall Art, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 36″ x 12″ x 1″; OR three 12″ x 12″ x 1″ squares
- Faux moss sheets, 14″ x 14″, three
- Tools: Serrated knife and candle stub or soap OR dental floss; ruler; sharp pencil; scissors; straight pins; poster adhesive OR small sawtooth hangers and nails; low-temp glue gun and glue sticks OR thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Curly willow twigs and raffia or twine
To make the Mossy Wall Art:
1. If using 12” squares, go to Step 2. If using a 36” x 12” sheet, measure and mark three 12” squares, scoring cutting line with sharp pencil. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or soap and cut along the scored lines. Or, use dental floss: stand the sheet on its edge, and hold a 24″ length of dental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand at the bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw the dental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.
2. Cut away a 1″ square from each corner of faux moss sheet. Apply glue to front and sides of first foam square and press moss to glue, folding sides down. Use straight pins to hold moss in place until glue sets. Repeat to cover remaining squares.
3. Use poster adhesive to secure squares to wall as shown, or glue sawtooth hanger to top center back of each square and hang with small nails.
4. Optional: For added interest, bundle curly willow twigs and hang above Mossy Wall Art. Add short length of raffia or twine to create illusion that Mossy Wall Art hangs from the bundled twigs.
We have instructions for the Moss Spheres and Pebble Spheres, too, on www.styrofoamcrafts.com. If you like the natural look for your home, you might also like this Woodlands Birch Bark & Twigs Wall Art.
For even more inspiration, Dow offers three free home decorating booklets, Great Décor in a Flash – Without a Lot of Cash, with dozens of additional fast and easy home décor ideas.
What are your summer decorating tips? Will Mother Nature have a hand in your décor? Leave a comment and tells us about your plans.