Father’s Day is June 17, and we have a couple of crafts that kids will have fun making for Dad. Kids will have a blast adding favorite photos and special notes to the CD Photo Clip. And, Moms will like the fact that it’s both easy and inexpensive – it uses supplies you have on hand, an old CD, and one ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam will make TWO of the photo holders.
To make the CD Photo Clip, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 3” ball
- Acrylic craft paint (we used blue)
- Recycled CD
- Silver aluminum craft wire, 18- to 20-gauge, 24″ length
- Silver metallic trim, 1/4″ x 1/3 yd.
- Assorted acrylic gems and sequins
- Tools needed: Plastic knife; candle or soap; pencil; ruler; wooden skewer; stiff paint brush; disposable bowl or plate; paper towels; scissors; wire cutters; needle nose pliers; low-temp glue gun and glue sticks; thick, white craft glue
To make the CD Photo Clip:
(Note: Do not let children use the plastic knife or glue gun on their own; parents should always supervise children’s crafting adventures.)
1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut foam ball in half; set aside one half for future project.
2. Insert skewer into flat side of half-ball. Holding skewer, paint half-ball blue. Place skewer in heavy glass or jar to dry.
3. Use glue gun to secure half-ball to center of recycled CD.
4. Cut three 6″-8″ lengths from wire. Use fingers and pliers to create flat spirals in one end of each wire length. Glue and insert straight wire ends 1/2″ deep into foam at different angles as shown.
5. Glue assorted gems and sequins to foam surface. Glue metallic trim around base of ball; trim excess.
6. Add your favorite photos, notes, and other mementos.
Here are a few more Father’s Day gift ideas. Want to know more? Each photo links to the project instructions on StyrofoamCrafts.com.
What are you making for Father’s Day? Leave a comment below and tell us how you plan to spend Father’s Day. And, please post your Father’s Day crafts (or other crafts!) on our Facebook page. Hope to hear from you soon!