I can see you melting already over Debra Quartermain’s latest DIY Sock Snowman & Snowballs. Nobody makes sweeter snowmen than Debra. And not only is this Sock Snowman & Snowballs simply adorable, it’s simple to make, too. If you can cut a sock and squeeze a glue bottle, you can make your own Sock Snowman & Snowballs. Don’t believe me? Read through the tutorial below and then tell me what you think. (If you’d like to know more about Debra and her magical world, check out my visit to the Quartermain House B&B.)
To make a Sock Snowman & Snowballs, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- One each 2-1/2”, 3” and 4″ balls
- Two, 1” balls
- Adult tube socks in white, one pair
- Adult patterned socks, one pair
- Buttons, 1” in pink, four
- Quilt pins, two black
- Brads: one ¼” pink; five ½” pink polka dot
- Floss, 1/4 yd in white
- Skewer, one 12”
- Quilt pins, two black
- Brush-on blush or pink chalk
- Fabric glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins; pencil; ruler
To make a Sock Snowman & Snowballs:
1. Build the Snowman body:
- Flatten one side of the 4” foam ball on a tabletop, so the ball will stand and not roll.
- Insert the skewer through all three balls in order of size: 4”, 3”, and 2-½”.
- Squeeze glue between the balls, and then press balls together firmly.
- Cut off excess skewer.
- Let glue dry.
2. Stretch the tube sock over the snowman body, starting with the bottom. Stretch the sock up around the head ball. Cut off the excess sock, leaving an extra inch all around. Stretch and glue extra sock to the top of the head; if needed, use straight pins to help hold the sock in place.
3. Cut a 3-½” piece from cuff end of one sock. Cut in half. Roll each piece into a tube for arms, and glue to secure. Set aside.
4. Cut the following pieces from the patterned sock:
- Hat – 5” length, measured from the cuff down.
- Sweater – 5” length, cut from your favorite patterned area.
- Mittens – 2” length, measured from the cuff down on the second sock.
5. Assemble hat:
- Turn cuff piece wrong side out.
- Tightly gather cut end, and tie off with a piece of floss.
- Turn right side out.
- Glue a pink button to top of hat.
6. Fold under both ends of the sweater piece, and glue in place. Stretch sweater over snowman’s body and position on the middle ball. Roll down top to form a cuff around the snowman’s neck.
7. Glue hat to head.
8. Add snowman’s face:
- Dip quilt pins in small dab of glue, and insert for eyes.
- Dip pink brad in small amount of glue and insert for nose.
- Blush cheeks.
9. Cut mitten piece in half. Fold each piece in half, right sides together, and glue edges together. Turn right side out and slip a mitten over the end of each arm and glue in place. Glue arms to either side of snowman’s body.
10. Make the snowballs:
- Cut 2” from toe of second tube sock, and cut in half.
- Stretch each half over a 1” ball to make a snowball. Glue in place, trimming away excess sock.
- Glue snowballs in arm.
- Glue three buttons down snowman’s front. Glue a polka dot brad in center of each button, and two more brads to hat.
This Sweet Sock Snowman is another one of Debra’s creations.
When shopping for the socks, throw in an extra pair to make this Snowman Swag.
So, you could totally make Debra’s Sock Snowman & Snowballs, right?