There are lots of June birthdays in the family, so today I am sharing Patty Schaffer’s clever, DIY Cupcake Birthday Card. Patty’s card is like a birthday greeting and gift all in one, and enjoyed without a single extra calorie. In case you’re wondering, you can mail this dimensional card, if you put it in a small box. Otherwise, it’s special enough to warrant a hand delivery. I’m sharing a little more birthday fun, so read on.
To make a Cupcake Birthday Card, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 2” ball and 2” x 3” cone
- Scrapbook paper, 8-1/2” x 5-1/2” (Patty used green paper with embossed dots)
- Cupcake liner
- White tissue paper
- Paper scraps or clear, decorative overlay
- Letter stickers spelling “celebrate”
- Wooden toothpick
- Acrylic craft paint in pink
- Washi tape in purple print
- Chunky glitter in turquoise or other coordinating color
- Mod Podge
- Glitter glue
- Optional: Additional embellishments
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; paintbrush
To make a Cupcake Birthday Card:
1. Score and fold the scrapbook paper in half.
2. Wax the knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Cut the foam cone and foam ball in half from top to bottom. You will use one half of each shape (save the other half for another card).
3. Cut the point off the bottom of the cone to make the bottom half of the cupcake.
4. Cut a slice from the half ball, and check to see if it fits on top of the cupcake bottom. If the two halves don’t fit together, trim to fit.
5. Brush Mod Podge on the ball, and cover with tissue paper to look like icing. Let dry.
6. Cut a cupcake liner in half. Check fit to see if it completely covers the cupcake bottom. Glue in place.
7. Glue together the cupcake top and bottom.
8. Adhere paper scrap or decorative overlay to front of card. Add letter stickers to spell out “celebrate”.
9. Glue cupcake to the card.
10. Paint toothpick pink and let dry.
11. Wrap washi tape around toothpick, and cut into pennant shape. Insert into top of cupcake.
12. Brush glitter glue on top of cupcake and sprinkle with turquoise glitter.
I have one more idea to make a birthday celebration special – a Birthday Balloon Wreath.
Happy birthday to all the June birthdays!
Be sure to join in for Tinsel Tuesdays next week!