Golf? Baseball? Soccer? If you’re having a sports-filled summer, I bet you know someone who would love one of these DIY Sports Ball Ornaments. Topped with tiny Santa hats, these Sports Ball Ornaments are so festive. With a little help from an adult, kids can make these Christmas ornaments, too. Score!
To make a Sports Ball Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Soccer ball, basketball and baseball: 3” ball
- Golf ball: 2” ball
- Acrylic craft paint: white, brown, black or red (choose the appropriate colors for your sport)
- Red flannel, small piece
- Fuzzy white felt
- Pompom, 1” in white
- Satin ribbon, 1/8” in red
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; marker; stiff paintbrush; fine paint brush; chopstick or skewer; Needle & thread or sewing machine; tapestry or other needle with a large eye; optional: pencil with clean eraser for golf ball
To make a Sports Ball Ornament:
1. Insert a chopstick or skewer into your ball to use as a handle. If you’re making a golf ball, skip to Step 2. For all other sports, paint your ball the appropriate color. After the paint dries, draw on details with the marker, and then paint them with the fine paintbrush. To make the Santa hat, skip to Step 3.
2. For the golf ball, press the pencil eraser into the 2” ball to create dimples. Paint golf ball white.
3. Make a Santa hat:
- Using the Santa hat patterns, cut out a hat from the red flannel.
- Fold in half, right sides together, and sew a 3/8” seam.
- Turn hat right side out and gently push out the point with a dull pencil.
- Glue hat to ball.
4. Glue a 1” x 8” strip of fuzzy felt around the hat on the soccer ball, baseball and basketball. Glue a ½” x 5” strip around the golf ball Santa hat.
5. Glue a pompom to the end of the hat.
6. Using the large eyed needle, insert a narrow ribbon through the hat. Tie off the ends, forming a hanging loop.
If you’re living with a real sports fanatic, I have a few more ideas for you. I featured these ideas for sports theme decor on Crafts ‘n Coffee a while back. Fun, aren’t they?
I have a swimmer in my house, and we catch an occasional baseball game, too. How about you? Which sports do you follow in your home?
I’m having a lot of fun with Tinsel Tuesdays this summer, and I hope you are, too. Look for more Christmas crafts next Tuesday.