This Sock Snowman Ornament is so cozy & cute. With my pile of mismatched socks, I could create a basketful of these Sock Snowman Ornaments in just about every color! They would make a treasured, handmade gift, and think about how you could customize each one. And just in case your pile of mismatched socks is as big as mine, I’m sharing a few more ideas for using up those leftover socks, and mittens, too.
To make a Sock Snowman Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Two, 3” balls
- Sock, adult size
- Fiberfil stuffing
- Glittered texture paint
- Felt: Black for hat; 5/8” x 12” piece for scarf
- Fabric scraps for eyes, nose, mouth & cheeks
- Ribbon: 3/8” x 9” for hat; 10” for hanger
- Embellishments: ¾” wooden hearts; 1-1/2” wooden snowflakes; faux holly sprigs
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife and an old candle or bar of soap; wood skewer or chopstick; stiff paintbrush
To make a Sock Snowman Ornament:
1. Wax your knife blade with the old candle or bar of soap. Cut a small slice from one side of each 3” ball. Rub the two cut sides together, forming a tight fit, and then glue balls together.
2. Insert the wood skewer or chopstick into the bottom of the snowman and use it as a handle while painting. Paint the snowman with the sparkling texture paint.
3. Lightly fill the bottom of the sock with fiberfill. If your sock is really long, fold down the top to make a cuff, and leave room to tuck in the snowman (don’t add him yet).
4. Knot together the ends of a 9” – 10” length of ribbon, forming a loop. Glue the knotted end into the back corner of the sock.
5. Insert the snowman into the sock and glue him in place.
6. Cut out the eyes, carrot nose, mouth and cheeks from felt or fabric scraps and glue onto the snowman’s face with thick, white craft glue.
7. Wrap the 5/8” x 12” felt strip around the snowman’s neck, and tie in a loose knot. Fringe the ends.
8. Glue snowflakes and small hearts onto the sock. Optional: Glue bows onto snowflakes.
9. Make the hat:
- Cut the following from the black felt: 3-1/2” circle (hat brim); 2-1/2” circle (top of hat); and a 2-1/2” x 9” strip.
- Overlap the ends of the strip, forming a tube, and glue the ends together.
- Center and glue 2-1/2” circle onto the felt tube. Let the glue dry.
- Make 2” long cuts in the center of the 3-1/2” circle.
- Test fit to see if you can place the hat brim onto the snowman’s head. If not, add a few more cuts.
- Glue the top portion of the hat onto the brim. Let glue dry.
- Glue the hat onto the snowman.
- Glue ribbon around the hat brim and embellish with a spring of holly.
If your pile of odd socks includes a few athletic socks, turn them into this adorable Snowman Swag.
Who knew you could transform your mismatched socks into Polar Bear & Penguin Sock Ornaments?
And here’s one more snowman craft, a Winter Welcome sign that uses up your old, leftover winter mittens.
Thanks for stopping in for another Tinsel Tuesday.
P.S. Have you entered the mysterious giveaway yet?