Wait, did I say “DIY Christmas Ornament”? Yes, I did because today is the first day in a new summer series here on Crafts ‘n Coffee – Tinsel Tuesdays. So many of you have said that you craft for Christmas year-round, so I decided to share a Christmas craft idea every Tuesday all summer long. Today’s tutorial is for the Elegant, Glittered Ornament pictured in the Tinsel Tuesday graphic. Make several of these now for special gifts, and you’ll be way ahead of the season. So, let’s get our merry on!
The red and white color scheme is a classic, but you could easily change the colors of glitter and microbeads to match your Christmas colors. Think about changing up the size of the balls, too. I think these would be stunning in larger sizes.
To make an Elegant, Glittered Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1”, 1-1/2” and 2” balls; scrap piece
- Microbeads in red*
- Glitter: Red and silver
- Diamond Dust
- Acrylic crystal beads in assorted sizes
- Head pin
- Beading wire
- Glitter glue
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Wire cutters; toothpicks; wood pick; stiff paintbrush
To make an Elegant, Glittered Ornament:
1. Twist balls together to create a tight fit. Insert toothpicks between the balls, and glue together.
2. Insert a wood pick into the 2” ball to use as a handle. Brush glitter glue over the ornament, and sprinkle with glitter, Diamond Dust, and microbeads. Insert the pick into a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam while glue dries.
3. String three or more beads onto the head pin, and insert and glue the pin into the 1” ball.
4. String beads onto a 6” length of wire, leaving the last 3/4” empty on either end. Twist ends together and insert and glue twisted end into the 2” ball.
As long as you have the supplies, make a few extra glittered balls and use them to decorate a purchased pine wreath. You’ll be two projects ahead for the coming holiday season.
Be sure to share Tinsel Tuesdays with your friends. And tell me, what types of projects would you like to see featured during Tinsel Tuesdays this summer?