Tinsel Tuesdays: DIY a Glittered Christmas Ornament

Wait, did I say “DIY Christmas Ornament”? Yes, I did because today is the first day in a new summer series here on Crafts ‘n CoffeeTinsel Tuesdays. So many of you have said that you craft for Christmas year-round, so I decided to share a Christmas craft idea every Tuesday all summer long. Today’s tutorial is for the Elegant, Glittered Ornament pictured in the Tinsel Tuesday graphic. Make several of these now for special gifts, and you’ll be way ahead of the season. So, let’s get our merry on!

The red and white color scheme is a classic, but you could easily change the colors of glitter and microbeads to match your Christmas colors. Think about changing up the size of the balls, too. I think these would be stunning in larger sizes.

A pretty sparkler for the Christmas tree. I'd love these in a larger size! Tutorial on CraftsnCoffee.

Elegant Glittered Ornament by Diane Flowers.

To make an Elegant, Glittered Ornament, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1”, 1-1/2” and 2” balls; scrap piece
  • Microbeads in red*
  • Glitter: Red and silver
  • Diamond Dust
  • Acrylic crystal beads in assorted sizes
  • Head pin
  • Beading wire
  • Glitter glue
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Wire cutters; toothpicks; wood pick; stiff paintbrush

*If you can’t find microbeads in your local craft store, I found two online sources from Martha Stewart and American Crafts. They’re both on sale right now, too.

To make an Elegant, Glittered Ornament:

1. Twist balls together to create a tight fit. Insert toothpicks between the balls, and glue together.

2. Insert a wood pick into the 2” ball to use as a handle. Brush glitter glue over the ornament, and sprinkle with glitter, Diamond Dust, and microbeads. Insert the pick into a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam while glue dries.

3. String three or more beads onto the head pin, and insert and glue the pin into the 1” ball.

4. String beads onto a 6” length of wire, leaving the last 3/4” empty on either end. Twist ends together and insert and glue twisted end into the 2” ball.

Glittered-Ball-Wreath-2

Make extra glittered balls and embellish a purchased wreath. Two projects, one mess — score!

As long as you have the supplies, make a few extra glittered balls and use them to decorate a purchased pine wreath. You’ll be two projects ahead for the coming holiday season.

Be sure to share Tinsel Tuesdays with your friends. And tell me, what types of projects would you like to see featured during Tinsel Tuesdays this summer?

Tinsel Tuesdays is a new series on CraftsnCoffee, celebrating Christmas crafting all summer long.Happy crafting!

This entry was posted in Christmas Crafts, Christmas Ornaments, Christmas Wreaths, Craft Tutorial, Gift Ideas and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Tinsel Tuesdays: DIY a Glittered Christmas Ornament

1. Pingback: Tinsel Tuesdays: Repurpose cans and DIY a Soda Can Christmas Wreath | Crafts 'n Coffee

Fun!! Christmas is great all year long! Beautiful glitter ornament. We’ll be wishing for cooler weather soon and this craft will be the perfect tonic.0

3. studiorose says:

I do like your idea of making them larger – but what about smaller? I put up a “mini” (2 ft) tree at work and it would be fun to try making these to fit a smaller scale. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

Cute idea! You could certainly make these smaller. You can find 1″ balls in the store, and if you need them smaller, just compress them and roll them between your fingers or on a tabletop — presto, they’re just the size you need. I think you’ll really like next week’s Christmas project, too. Sharon

4. Nancy D says:

I think I saw a Halloween house made from sheets of foam a while back. Christmas houses would be cute. Even cuter would be ornament size houses :)

Was it this Haunted House? I’ll plan on having a Christmas House this year, though it might not be this summer. It is fun to DIY your own, because you can really customize them. Be on the lookout for it, o.k.? Thanks! Sharon

• Nancy D says:

Yes! So cute! I’m pretty sure I pinned it. Need to spend some time going through my own pins!

I know — endless pins, right? I sometimes find I pin the same thing several times, oops. Do you do that, too? Sharon

Hi Nancy, I did a little more digging and found this post for Christmas houses. I’d completely forgotten about this post! You could dress them up to make them more Christmas-y, or simply make them winter houses. Enjoy! Sharon

5. Dianne says:

I love doing Christmas crafts and to get new ideas to do throughout the year is great.I can’t wait to get started.

So glad you stopped in, Dianne. What are some of your favorite Christmas projects? Cards? Ornaments? I’d love to know what you plan to make for Christmas. Sharon

6. Becca Christensen says:

Gorgeous ideas

7. Angie Dyer says:

It’s early, but I have been thinking about Christmas ideas too. Love glitter and beads together. Doing two projects back to back also saves the mess and fuss. And doubles the fun!

Half the mess and double the fun — what’s not to love, right? Oh, and they’re pretty easy to make, too. I’m glad to hear you’re thinking about the holidays already, and I hope you find a few inspiring ideas on Crafts ‘n Coffee this summer. Sharon

Wow! Those look great lots of bling. I’ll put this on the list to try this summer. With State Track Fri-Sat and then Graduation on Sunday…company from all over coming in….This was a nice break! :) I, myself like the ornaments that stay simple and can be used for more uses. My heart melts for snowmen.

Ah, snowmen! Thanks for that suggestion, as I hadn’t thought about snowmen (silly me). I will see what I can do about that! Enjoy your festivities this weekend! Sharon

9. brenda says:

THANK YOU I SO wonder why oh why do we have Christmas help and ideas the last two weeks before we need them. THANK YOU

Isn’t that the truth! Let’s make a pact to do a little each week or month this year, so we’re not in frenzy of Christmas crazy by December! Thanks for stopping by today. Sharon

10. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! These are so pretty and could actually be used year round for other holidays! Do them in pastels for Easter, Red, White and Blue for 4th of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day, Browns and Oranges for Thanksgiving, Black and Orange for Halloween! Wow! The ideas are flowing now! LOL Down brain!

I love these ideas! I hadn’t thought about creating these ornaments for other holidays, but of course you could. Imagine them with little faces to make Halloween jack-‘o-lanterns. Super cute! Maybe we’ll try that one and share it here later. Thanks so much for the inspiration, Barb. Sharon

11. Lynn Jackson says:

Oh my goodness these are some beauty’s!