An easy, patriotic wreath kids – or anyone, can make

My Red, White & Blue Bandana Wreath is an easy summertime craft for kids – and adults. Keeping kids in mind, I chose a smaller, 10” wreath form so that you could make this patriotic wreath fairly quickly. Personally, I like that it took just an hour or so to make, but if you have more time, you can always make it bigger. I also used one of my favorite materials for making patriotic crafts—bandanas. Here’s how I made the Easy, Red, White & Blue Bandana Wreath.

This is a fun wreath, and even kids can easily make it. CraftsnCoffee.com. To make an Easy, Red, White & Blue Bandana Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 10” wreath
  • Bandanas, one each red, white and blue
  • Ribbon, 1” x 54”
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; iron; wood skewer; straight pins; optional: Rotary cutter and cutting mat

It doesn't take much to make this really cute (and easy) Red, White & Blue Bandana Wreath. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Here’s about all you’ll need to make this wreath. Note that I later swapped out the striped ribbon for a solid blue ribbon.

To make an Easy, Red, White & Blue Bandana Wreath:

1. Glue ribbon around the outside and inside edges of the wreath. If needed, pin ribbons in place while the glue dries. (A little back story here – you’ll see that I originally used a striped ribbon around the outside edge, and forgot about the inside edge! Oops. I also decided that I liked a solid blue ribbon better, and switched out the striped ribbon for the blue.)

2. Press bandanas to remove wrinkles.

3. Trim seams from each edge of the bandanas.

Prepping the bandanas for the Easy, Red, White & Blue Bandana Wreath. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Cut your bandana into 2″ strips, and then cut the strips into 2″ squares. If you’re working with really young kids, an adult can do this step ahead of time.

4. Cut bandanas into 2” strips, and the strips into 2” squares. I used about eight red strips and four each of the blue and white strips for my wreath.

5. Place a red bandana square on the wreath, and using the blunt end of the skewer, push the center of the fabric square into the wreath.

This is a favorite technique for making wreaths and ornaments, too. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Insert your fabric squares into the wreath using the blunt end of a wood skewer.

6. Continue inserting the red bandana squares into the wreath, and add an occasional white bandana square, too. Cover about 2/3 – ¾ of the wreath with the red and white bandana squares.

7. Repeat to cover the remaining portion of the wreath, using blue bandana squares and an occasional white bandana square.

8. To hang, pin and glue a ribbon loop to the back.

Nothing hard about this wreath -- it uses bandanas and a Styrofoam brand wreath. Super easy and super cute! CraftsnCoffee.com

My wreath is about 10″ wide, and you can easily adapt this to a larger size wreath.

If you’re like me, and you like the look of all-American bandanas, here’s another easy, Patriotic Wreath I made.

how to make a quick & easy July 4th wreath

Whip up this wreath in less than an hour!

Designer Patty Schaffer made this Fringed Bandana Wreath.

fast & easy patriotic wreath for July 4th. CraftsnCoffee.com

Patriotic, Fringed Bandana Wreath by Patty Schaffer.

And, Patty made this Wrap & Roll Patriotic Bandana Wreath.

Wrap up this easy, in expensive July 4th wreath using craft bandanas.

Wrap & Roll Patriotic Wreath by Patty Schaffer

Have you crafted with bandanas? What did you make?

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Kid's Crafts, Patriotic Crafts, Summer Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to An easy, patriotic wreath kids – or anyone, can make

1. Sharon, all these wreaths are FAB!! My front door so needs some patriotism :) I think I know what project to tackle next! Thank you so much for joining in our #PinUP Pin Party.. adore ALL of your submissions!

Thank you for hosting such a fun weekly party, too, Dawn. So glad you’re inspired — do share a photo of your wreath when it’s finished. I’d love to see it! Sharon

2. Linda says:

Ohhhh I so want to try this, thanks for all those crafty wonderful ideas.

3. Erica says:

I’m sure I’m missing something, but I don’t understand where your supposed to glue the ribbon.

Hi Erica, You pin and glue the ribbon to the back of the wreath, at the top. After the glue dries, you’ll be able to hang it. You won’t see it in the photo, as I added it later — sorry if that’s confusing you! Thanks so much for stopping in today and happy crafting. Sharon

4. Maggie says:

These wreaths are great! Can’t wait to make one. Only one problem, which one do I choose!!!!

5. Pingback: Easy Patriotic Wreath | Lesson Plans | CraftGossip.com

6. Great idea! I was just walking by some patriotic bandanas at the store and was trying to think of how I might use them…

Thanks, Jennifer. I just love craft bandanas — they’re inexpensive and it’s just enough fabric for a small project. Lots of variety, too. Sharon

7. studiorose says:

These are wonderful! I’d be hard-pressed to make something more AMERICAN, unless it came with a slice of apple pie! I’m also picturing it in pastels for a baby’s room.

8. Oh my goodness that’s adorable! Is it sad I want to rush out the door to grab bandanas & foam to make one?!

9. These are all awesome. I wasnt going to make a patriotic wreath for memorial day and the 4th, because all the ideas I had seen I did not care for. These are fantastic though. Thanks!!!

Aww, thank you! I’m so happy that you’re inspired to make a patriotic wreath — be sure to share a photo of your wreath. Happy crafting. Sharon

I love it because it IS quick and easy

Me, too! This would be a fun one for you and your son, and like Lisa said, you could even make it in school colors. I hope you have a chance to create this coming weekend. Thanks for stopping in. Sharon

They do look simple. What a fun idea. I can see decorating one for a graduation centerpiece.
    Hmmm, do I have time? Great tut. Love it.

I never thought of that Lisa, but that’s a great idea. You could make this in the school’s colors, put a candle in the middle and use it as a centerpiece. Or hang it up and make it a school wreath. Thanks for the inspiration! Sharon