Easter Eggstravaganza: French Post Eggs in a chicken wire cloche

I marvel at how creativity transforms unexpected craft materials, like chicken wire, into something beautiful. Rebekah Meier works her magic to turn a length of chicken wire into a country style cloche, and that’s not all. Nestled inside the cloche is a trio of sweet, French Post Eggs, in soft, spring pastels. How pretty would this be on your table this spring?

DIY Chicken Wire Cloche & French Post Eggs. Lovely for spring! CraftsnCoffee.comY

Chicken Wire Cloche & French Post Eggs by Rebekah Meier.

So pretty! French Post Eggs made with scrapbook paper and Styrofoam eggs. CraftsnCoffee.com

The eggs are pretty displayed on their own, too.

To make French Post Eggs & a Chicken Wire Cloche, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Three, 3” eggs
  • Scrapbook paper, two 12” x 12” sheets (lightweight works best)
  • Paper shred, cream color
  • Chicken wire, 18” x 13”
  • Striped ribbon, 1 yd.
  • Mod Podge, matte finish
  • Tools needed: Scissors; wire cutters; pliers; gloves; foam paintbrush; wooden skewer; ruler; optional: paper trimmer or rotary cutter

To make French Post Eggs & a Chicken Wire Cloche:

Chicken Wire Cloche

1. Wear protective gloves while working with chicken wire. Roll up the 18” ends and form a cylinder that’s 13” tall and 6” in diameter. Twist together the cut ends to hold the cylinder together.

2. Twist the top of the cylinder into a 2” knob. The finished wire cloche should be approximately 10-1/2” tall.

3. Wrap ribbon around the top of cloche and tie into a bow.

French Post Eggs

1. Using paper trimmer, rotary cutter or scissors, cut scrapbook papers into 1/4” wide strips.

2. Insert a wooden skewer into the wide end of each egg and use it as a handle.

3. Working on one egg at a time, brush a thin, even layer of Modge Podge onto an egg. Randomly wrap paper strips around the egg until the entire egg is covered with paper. Repeat for remaining eggs.

Sweet eggs made with scrapbook papers and Styrofoam eggs. CraftsnCoffee.com.

The old fashion handwriting adds a romantic, vintage flair.

4. Paint a final layer of Modge Podge® onto the eggs.  Let dry.

5. Shape the paper shred into a nest, and nestle the eggs in the nest. Place cloche over eggs.

I love this! Tutorial to make the cloche & French Post Eggs on CraftsnCoffee.com.

What else have you seen made with chicken wire?

Have you noticed the chicken wire trend? How have you seen it used? Or, have you made anything with chicken wire? I’d love to hear about it. (And remember, every comment you leave is another entry to win the Most Eggscellent Prize Package.)

Sneak peek of a  . . . CraftsnCoffee.com

Coming tomorrow!

The Easter Eggstravaganza continues tomorrow, and here’s a sneak peek of tomorrow’s feature. I bet you can guess what it is!

Happy Easter Egg Crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Easter Crafts, Gift Ideas, Home Decor, Mixed Media, Paper Crafts, Spring Crafts, Vintage Crafts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Easter Eggstravaganza: French Post Eggs in a chicken wire cloche

1. dani says:

What a unique display! And I love the eggs! I doubt I’ll get to make all of the different eggs, but I’m certainly enjoying seeing them (and pinning them!) Love this series!

2. studiorose says:

This is wonderful! Glass cloches can be prohibitively expensive, and this is a fun and attractive alternative. Love the eggs, too!

3. Nancy D says:

The only time I ever worked with chicken wire was in my garden. It’s great to use with beans. I do love the country look you get when used in crafting. I love the decoupaged eggs! I have to get my modge podge out soon.

4. Debbie Kaste says:

This is so clever, Sharon. Love your eggs. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Angie Dyer says:

I have never seen chicken wire in decor like this. I did see it once in an old pie safe in the doors. The wire cloche is adorable. Would look cute in the kitchen for spring. Thank you for sharing!

6. Mandy L. says:

This is so clever! Very cool!

7. Jessica Weyrowske says:

This is beautiful, so unique! I especially love when artists create with unconventional items :)

What a fun way to decorate….it is not necessarily Easter but would make a great accent for a country kitchen. I need to find my chicken wire.

9. Sara Tanner says:

I like the chicken wire cloche. I wonder what these eggs would look like with a thin layer of wax over them. Vey cool either way. :)

I bet that would work. I’ve not used wax, but I envision it as a slightly thicker, less transparent finish, yes?

• Sara Tanner says:

yes and it would really give the papers a smooth finish. I make a lot of cards/crafts with various types of paper products. Reg Card stock, napkins, paper towels, tea bag pkg’s. anything paper. I apply the wax with a small craft iron and it gives a very smooth satin finish that seals and blends all the seams of the papers together. It gives a very nice finished effect. I’m thinking these would look really good if done in that way. Still loving that cloche. :)

Thanks so much for the info. I think that would be a very pretty finish for these eggs — smooth & satiny. Sharon

10. rfnancy says:

Cute, Cute, Cute! I use Chicken wire in my Garden around my New Pants until they really take Hold, sometimes a full Season. Gotta Keep my Bunny friends from feasting on the and sticking to the Carrot tops I put out. This a Great Craft I have all the Supplies to make these Decoupage Eggs, just needed a little Inspiration!! Thanks!

Huggs, Nancy

Happy crafting! Glad you’re inspired. (I should use the chicken wire around my crocus – the bunnies get them every year.) Thank you for visiting. Sharon

I like this one because the shredded paper looks like a real nest and the chicken wire is a good touch

12. I have not done anything with chicken wire except use it on my chicken coop. I’m dying to try this. You keep topping yourself everyday.

13. What a clever idea for a cloche! Love it!

14. You guys are such good eggs!! Giving me all this awesome inspiration to make such awesome home decor!! Love this wire cloche and I just received 3 pieces of chicken wire in the mail so I am all set to make one!! YAY ME!! Another awesome décor project that is easy to do with big impact on the WOW factor!! Thanks for all the great ideas!! See you tomorrow!!