I love the fact that Eggstravaganza Week lets me showcase so many different ways to decorate Easter eggs, like this Easter Egg Shadow Box. This Easter Egg Shadow Box has a folk art style and vintage flair, and is a keepsake craft for sure. You’ll use just half an egg, so why not make two – one for you and one to give as a gift. (And don’t forget about the Crafts, Coffee & Candy giveaway.)
To make an Easter Egg Shadow Box, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 5” egg
- Box, large enough to fit the egg (Denise used a paper maché box with a scalloped lid)
- Scrapbook paper, one sheet (for background)
- Paper clay
- Acrylic craft paints: white, sea green, purple, pink and light blue
- Antiquing medium
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; rolling pin; sandpaper; paper towels; pencil; flat and liner paintbrushes
To make an Easter Egg Shadow Box:
1. Wax the serrated knife with an old candle or bar of soap. Cut the egg of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam in half lengthwise. Save one half for another project.
2. Roll out paper clay, and cover the half egg. Let dry completely. Fill in any cracks with more paper clay and let dry. Sand lightly; some texture will give it folk art character.
3. Paint egg white with the flat brush. Paint two – three coats of white paint, letting dry between coats, till egg is covered.
4. Using a pencil, lightly draw your design on the egg. (If you’re confident in your painting skills, you can paint freehand instead.) Denise painted on sea green stripes; a purple wavy line; a pink zig zag; and pink and purple polka dots. Let paint dry.
5. When dry, very lightly sand the egg to give it a worn look. Paint with antiquing medium, and then quickly wipe off the stain with a paper towel. This should give the egg an antiqued look.
6. Paint the display box. Michelle used both the top and bottom of the box, and fit the bottom of the box into the box lid, and painted both together. Let paint dry. Lightly sand the box to give it a worn appearance.
7. Cut scrapbook paper to fit on the inside back of the box. Glue in place. Center egg, and glue into box.
Are you wondering about the Crafts, Coffee & Candy Easter Eggstravaganza prize? You could win:
- One dozen eggs of STYROFOAM Brand Foam
- A $25 gift card to your favorite craft store (choose from Michaels, Jo-Ann Stores and Hobby Lobby)
- A craft apron
- Starbuck’s Via Coffee
- Easter candy – of course!
To enter, just follow along during Easter Eggstravaganza week and leave a comment each day. The more comments you leave, the more entries you have. I’ll announce a winner on Thursday, April 3.
Today’s question: What’s your favorite crafting season? Do you spring into crafting in the springtime? Go crazy for Christmas crafting? Tell me when you really get your craft on.
Happy Easter Egg Crafting.