Let’s talk about shades of gray today, and no, I don’t mean the best-selling sizzler. I’m talking about decorating with gray, which seems to be the newest neutral for home décor. It’s a great starting point, because there are so many ways to build on it. Pair it with blue, pink, green, orange, or yellow, like today’s Felt Flower Topiary. I love the gray and yellow combination, but you could use other colors, too. You’ll find the felt flowers are easy to make with scissors, felt and buttons.
To make a Felt Flower Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 5” and 4” balls
- Terra cotta pot, 5-¾” x 4”
- Wood dowel, ½” x 8”
- Acrylic craft paint in grey, dark grey and yellow
- Felt squares in charcoal grey, light grey and yellow
- Buttons, assorted sizes in black
- Thread, grey
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; paintbrush; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; sewing needle; sharp pencil
To make a Felt Flower Topiary:
1. Wax the serrated knife with an old candle or bar of soap, and then cut in half the 4” ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Glue a half ball, cut-side up, into the terra cotta pot. Save the other half ball for another project.
2. Insert a sharp pencil into the bottom of the 5” ball, making a hole. Insert the dowel into the hole, about 1-1/2” deep. Glue the dowel into the hole. Insert the pencil into the half ball, and then push the dowel into the hole, down into the pot. Glue in place.
3. Paint the flower pot light gray; the half ball and dowel dark gray; and the top ball yellow.
4. Here’s how to make the flowers:
The felt flowers are made from different sizes of felt circles:
- A – 3”
- B – 2-3/8”
- C – 1-3/4”
- D – 1-3/8”
- E – 1”
- A large flower uses all five circles (A, B, C, D and E)
- A medium flower is made with B, C, D and E
- A small flower uses only C, D and E
For the topiary:
Kathleen used the following sizes and colors of flowers:
- Charcoal gray flowers: 2 large, 3 medium, and 1 small
- Light gray flowers: 2 large, 1 medium, and 4 small
- Yellow flowers: 2 large, 3 medium, and 2 small
To make a flower:
- Flute the edges of the felt circles by firmly stretching the edges in three or four places around the circle. This will create a slight ruffle effect.
- Stack your circles, placing each layer slightly off center.
- Stitch the layers together at the center of the top circle – a small “x” is fine.
- Stitch a black button in the center.
5. Arrange the flowers on the topiary, pinning them in place. Once you like how they look, glue them in place.
6. Cut out 10 – 12 small circles of felt. Using the sharp pencil, push the center of each felt circle into the half ball around the dowel.
7. Glue a strip of dark gray felt around the rim of the flower pot.
I’ve recently added gray to my décor, how about you? Are you using gray in your home? Do you have plans to add a shade or two of gray?