I’m feeling lucky as a leprechaun today because designer Dondi Richardson made a St. Patrick’s Day Deco Mesh Topiary just for the readers of Crafts ‘n Coffee! Dondi is super busy as a full-time designer for FloraCraft, so I wasn’t sure that she’d have the time to create this topiary for you. I was pretty excited when she said “yes.” I think you’re going to love her St. Patrick’s Day Deco Mesh Topiary!
To make a St. Pat’s Deco Mesh Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 3” ball and 2” x 12” x 18” sheet
- Wood dowel: 3/8” x 16”
- Acrylic craft paint in green
- Gift bag (Dondi used metallic gold, but you could use green or a patterned bag, too)
- Decorative Mesh, 10” wide, in light green, dark green and white
- Small green ornaments
- St. Patrick’s Day necklaces
- Gold coins
- Floral wire
- Low-temperature glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; foam brush
To make a St. Pat’s Deco Mesh Topiary:
1. Paint the wood dowel green, and insert it into the foam block to hold it upright while drying.
2. Insert the dowel into the 3” ball. Remove the dowel, add glue to the hole, and reinsert the dowel. Let the glue set up.
3. Cut up the foam sheet to fill the bag, trimming the pieces to fit. Wax the serrated knife with an old candle or bar of soap for smoother cutting. Glue the foam in place in the bag.
4. Insert the dowel straight down into the foam, and check to be sure it doesn’t slant. Remove the dowel, add glue to hole, and reinsert the dowel. Let the glue set up.
5. Wrap a necklace around the dowel and glue in place.
6. Cut the Deco Mesh into 7” lengths. You will need about 30 strips for the topiary, or 10 of each color. Cut the wire into 30, 3” lengths.
7. Roll a mesh strip to form a tube. Fold in half and pinch at the center, making a “V’ shape. Secure with a wire, twisting to hold the tube tight. Repeat for each Deco Mesh strip.
8. Insert the wire ends into the foam ball. Repeat, alternating the light green, dark green and white as you go, till the ball is covered.
9. Randomly glue the green ornaments to the Deco Mesh.
10. Cover the foam in the top of the gift bag with Deco Mesh, pinning it in place.
11. Arrange gold coins and necklaces in the top of the bag.