Festive, DIY Mardi Gras decorations made with Mardi Gras beads

After this winter, who doesn’t need a reason to celebrate? Well, Mardi Gras is March 4, and need I say more? Last year, I used my stash of Mardi Gras beads to make a Mardi Gras Bead Wreath. This year, Kathleen George turned her beads into Mardi Gras Bead Cones. Aren’t they fun? If you don’t happen to have beads on hand, no worries – Oriental Trading will deliver them to your door.

How to use up those Mardi Gras beads -- Make Mardi Gras Cones. CraftsnCoffee.com

To make Mardi Gras Bead Cones, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” x 4” & 12” x 4” cones
  • Mardi Gras beads, about 25 per cone (Kathleen used several types of necklaces from Oriental Trading Co.)
  • Acrylic craft paint in metallic gold
  • Craft pins, 1”
  • Low-temp glue

To make Mardi Gras Bead Cones:

1. Paint the cones gold, and let dry.

2. Play around with the beads on the cone, temporarily pinning them to the cone, till you have a design you like. (Kathleen used several layers of beads on her cones. She first covered the cone with necklaces with smaller beads, and then layered on top chunkier, more textured beads.)

So many kinds of Mardi Gras beads! Craft with them on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Use the different types of beads to create fun stripes.

3. When you like your design, glue the beads onto the cone.

4. Embellish by draping additional beads around the cone.

Fun Mardi Gras decorations made with Mardi Gras beads.  CraftsnCoffee.com

Have your kids help sort the beads, and work on the pattern you’d like to create.

If you have any beads leftover, try making the Mardi Gras Bead Wreath I made last year.

Make a Mardi Gras Wreath with your leftover Mardi Gras beads. CraftsnCoffee.com

Use your leftover beads to make this festive, Mardi Gras Wreath tonight!

What do you do to celebrate Mardi Gras?

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Home Decor, Topiaries and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Festive, DIY Mardi Gras decorations made with Mardi Gras beads

1. Pingback: Mardi Gras Crafts

2. Pat Wade says:

I love these wreaths. If I can find the same flowers I will make one.

The post links to the flowers on Oriental Trading Co., so you should be able to source the very same flowers Kathleen used. They are so cute, and it saves a lot of time to use the pre-made flowers. I hope you’ll share a photo of your St. Pat’s crafts. Happy crafting! Sharon

3. Angie Dyer says:

Saw my first Mardi Gras door decorations today. Yours are much prettier! Love those beads and the only way I plan to get them is to purchase them. LOL!

Those are Bright and Colorful. Much better than our 14+ inches of snow. Lol. Love them. :)

If anyone could use a little fun in the New Orleans sun, it would be your corner of the world! I think you’re getting blasted again out there in Montana, yes? I hope you throw your own Mardi Gras celebration and have some fun, in spite of old man winter! Thanks for stopping in, Lisa. Sharon

• LisaM6 says:

Yes, we did. We had 18 inches then a blizzard warning. My son made it home before the wind hit. Now just waiting for the other two to make it home from Basketball.

Enough already, eh? I hope everyone is home, safe & snug! Happy weekend! Sharon